Ovation Guitars at NAMM 2017!!!!

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
It was so cool to find out in 2015 that Ovation Guitars made a come back and are being built again.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...rs-are-back-and-built-in-america-again.70247/

That was my post back in 2015 but upon attending NAMM 2017, I found the Ovation Booth standing alone and no longer owned by another corporate giant.

The most interesting thing that Ovation has done was modify the back of the guitar bowls. The bowl now sits better into the body shape of a human. This felt really comfortable and the body size was a medium depth bowl. This sat so much better than the shallow bowls I currently own. Sadly, they did not have a shallow bowl for me to try. They were out at other booths being used for demonstrations.

Ovation Back - S.jpg

Just some Ovation Pron...

Various Ovations 1 - S.jpg

Various Ovations 2 - S.jpg

8-String Guitar

8-String - S.jpg

Bass

Bass - S.jpg

Mando

Mando - S.jpg

DSCN0937 - S.jpg

DSCN0938 - S.jpg

This was so cool...The Ovation Box. Should've taken a pic of the other side as it leaflet were the holes on the box.

Ovation Box Seat - S.jpg

I've had an unhealthy obsession with Ovations for a long time. Unfortunately, my love is unrequited -- I have yet to find the Ovation that will love me back...

Do they have a model with a faux-Koa top?

Why?

They make them real KOA, why would you want Faux?

Always hated them and doubt that will ever change (in particular the ones with those tiny holes in the wrong place). :embarrassed:
Good players and quite comfortable but...really really don't like the sound of them. Horrible for recording.

Many have their favorites as well as their dislikes. That's just part of it all.

Many have their favorites as well as their dislikes. That's just part of it all.

True that. Thankfully I found the perfect acoustic for my needs, a Yamaha that I've now had for well over 10 years.
Ovations are far from poor instruments, I just couldn't stand the sound of them. There's just something weird about them (quite likely the plastic back and odd shape).

I thought Ovations were made from plastic/composite?
The tops have always been wood, to my knowledge. It was the bowl that was composite.

I rather like this one:
dscn0937-s-jpg.31665

In the 70's, they were the best for playing along with electric guitars in a band. Glen Campbell seemed to love them.

I laughed at the a five string acoustic bass with a compact ovation body. It’s like taking the worst things about acoustic basses and making them suck even more. Now I remember why FMIC dumped Ovation.

Back