'Ovation Guitar' Persists As A Truly American Work Of Art

I hope there's enough of a market for them to continue.

I'm not a fan, personally (and I have owned an Ovation), but that doesn't mean I wish them harm.

My biggest issue with Ovations are that there is no "break in" period. They don't age. They sound exactly the same (tinny and artificial) the day you buy them as when you finally get rid of it 25 years later.
And they're uncomfortable as hell to play sitting down.

But I do wish them well, and hope they can stay afloat.

I hope there's enough of a market for them to continue.

I'm not a fan, personally (and I have owned an Ovation), but that doesn't mean I wish them harm.

My biggest issue with Ovations are that there is no "break in" period. They don't age. They sound exactly the same (tinny and artificial) the day you buy them as when you finally get rid of it 25 years later.
And they're uncomfortable as hell to play sitting down.

But I do wish them well, and hope they can stay afloat.

Interesting about the "break in" period. I only say that because my 86 Collector sounds so much better today than it did in 86. Outside of the Collector, my other Ovation's are used and sound great. The one thing I do love is the consistency. The sound doesn't change due to weather changes and that is one of the things I love about them. As for uncomfortable, all of mine a shallow backs except my KOA topped unit. With a strap, no problem.

But as with everything, everyone is different.

Interesting about the "break in" period. I only say that because my 86 Collector sounds so much better today than it did in 86. Outside of the Collector, my other Ovation's are used and sound great. The one thing I do love is the consistency. The sound doesn't change due to weather changes and that is one of the things I love about them. As for uncomfortable, all of mine a shallow backs except my KOA topped unit. With a strap, no problem.

But as with everything, everyone is different.

I think if you're going to use it primarily as an electric/acoustic (vs just acoustic), they're great at that.
For sitting around the campfire with one, I found it just left me "needing more", if that makes sense.
I had some kind of "Celebrity Deluxe" or something that I bought new in 1990-ish......it was a deep dish one. On one hand, the plastic back was nigh on indestructible. On the other hand, I just found it to be a terrible acoustic guitar. The few times I did record with it, though (jacked in), it did OK.

Again, I wish Ovation well, I'm just not a fan. Or should I say,,,,,,they don't do/sound like what I want it to do (if that makes any sense....).

I'm glad you enjoy yours, though. I know there are lots of fans out there.....I do hope they make it.

I think if you're going to use it primarily as an electric/acoustic (vs just acoustic), they're great at that.
For sitting around the campfire with one, I found it just left me "needing more", if that makes sense.
I had some kind of "Celebrity Deluxe" or something that I bought new in 1990-ish......it was a deep dish one. On one hand, the plastic back was nigh on indestructible. On the other hand, I just found it to be a terrible acoustic guitar. The few times I did record with it, though (jacked in), it did OK.

Again, I wish Ovation well, I'm just not a fan. Or should I say,,,,,,they don't do/sound like what I want it to do (if that makes any sense....).

I'm glad you enjoy yours, though. I know there are lots of fans out there.....I do hope they make it.

I hear ya. I have two celebrities, the KOA top and the one I have in Hawaii. The one in HI sound kind of thin but great through the PA when I play open mics there. I think alot of is due to the tops more. The KOA sounds great because of the medium bowl - helps the resonance. KOA soundboards sound so different from other sound boards. The more expensive the top, the warmer the sound just like other guitar.

I love Taylor's too. They seem to be similar in their sound as well. Warm but doesn't change.

I considered an Ovation for a while, but it has just never made it high enough on my list for me to pull the trigger. The kind of music I play really doesn't call for an Ovation.

The same shop I bought my Guild also has an Ovation 6778 LX Standard Elite Acoustic-Electric Guitar for cheap.
LX Standard Elite. Was there a DX Deluxe Elite, or an SX Super Elite?

The same shop I bought my Guild also has an Ovation 6778 LX Standard Elite Acoustic-Electric Guitar for cheap.
LX Standard Elite. Was there a DX Deluxe Elite, or an SX Super Elite?

Not that I am aware of.

Here are the specs:

Description:
6-String Acoustic/Electric
Top:
Spruce
Bracing:
Quintad
Fretboard:
Deluxe Rosewood
Fret Inlay:
None
Rosette:
5-Piece Hardwood Epaulet
Nutwidth:
1 11/16"
Machines:
Chrome Ovation
Preamp:
OP-30

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitars/archive/view/MODEL-6778

I'm really glad to see this, as a CT resident. Of the three brands they were making in that factory, I'd kind of rather see Hamer or Guild get picked back up, but Ovation did have the most history there.

It appears to me that the only USA-made models are the Adamas and USA signature model (that has an MSRP of $4300!!!!) No thank you...

Back