Outdoor dining season is near, we need a table . . .

And I may need to build one of these:

110.jpg

http://www.domesticated-engineer.com/2012/09/25/diy-patio-table-with-built-in-beerwine-coolers/

Our old glass top table died when my wife and boy removed the umbrella last year. this could be the replacement. I bet I could do this. I would put a hole in the center for an umbrella too.

Reactions: Tig
Ok, my wife likes the idea. So I guess I have a summer project. :wink: the standard lumber is a big plus. And we can get those planters easily. Will have to buy that special jig but that should not be a big deal, and will make the job way easier. Should actually be fun!

Very cool.

I dunno about those 2X4's in the rain, though....won't they warp?

Maybe 4X4's?
Yeah I was thinking about that. I could change the table legs out to 4x4s. We have some laying around still I think. The 2x top hopefully will not twist, or maybe I will buck up and get a different wood than just cheap pine. I think the author of the article used spruce. Could buck up to cedar or redwood, just for the top, but that would drive up the cost I would bet.

I built the 8x20 pergola out of treated pine 2x4's 2x6's and 4x4 posts about five years ago and it has survived our hot and rainy weather well.

Last edited:
I remember from my building days that you don't want to use PT wood in a table because of the chemicals it contains........

Of course, I imagine staining it would be a bitch, too.....

Dunno, I'm not a carpenter.

I remember from my building days that you don't want to use PT wood in a table because of the chemicals it contains........

This. Heck, they say not to use it for decks anymore, or if you do, don't walk barefoot on it.

If you start with properly dried lumber, and select good pieces that are not splitting, then stain it and seal it well, you'll be good. Properly sealed and maintained, it should last a long time. A good sealer will make it easier to keep clean, too.

Bucking up to a wood that does well in the weather is a good idea if you can afford it. You might be able to skip the sealer with the right wood. Ipe comes to mind as a top dollar choice, but I'm going from memory.

Back