Our visit to the Whiskey Library

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
The library is divided into two sections. There's a street level bar, The Green Room, that functions as a waiting area to get into the Back Room and an overflow bar when the Back Room is full. You do not need to be a member of the library to get into the Back Room but membership grants you immediate access & you can reserve a table or bar seat.

We decided to grab a bite to each for a late lunch/early dinner then get there around 4pm, when they opened so we could get a seat in the Back Room. Hit Lardo for some fantastic sandwiches & couldn't resist a half pint of Boneyard Notorious IIPA

Got into a small line at the door of the library shortly after 4pm and were seated in the Back Room within 15 minutes.
The view from our seat at the bar:

nLyOvAkaXqpnjMW2fWr3bjYxLhfURtXCf_69WlFLE3_WRqzNuj265O-jg2EATKL7c-3CG0eHH_c_S6blsdtOrCUwkftAAJedBcxzWHx6HdwM-c7aC5VePFw1YPmLCxE12kvHq7NPsMqi3uwP2U4gD3wJ-9lWtsR5d_40dul7yvvllUncP0WagKAMawLuX64U4uwB3JRrSQF1yYfuvkltyUNArOJj3nC7pRWOeEVJJ9ZsHJgqSfnAbT9AeSXN34eALmtyZ9azjzfUY4KVu1mRFW1xvxkY06zhTcUeuJxWOuIJF8IZgBqbITvH-b6Nypf65oWyh8eZ_jgyXFNUPukvH7nPlJRi2AKx1naRrtBpaTmj8-xO3oCvNJkEoNQXaQLFOKqfklT1n1LNhrxQ6yS0k4A9apdlocRudywGX4mPxoStj5w4AqovHzYpy8zxL7_uL_z-5M0HOV1oKQrA0LxuNQuKGAjSrQ-Md6AlX43QWCJnez-CX7OtCIVq8mXR6Y1VnRFXVaYx66L80W7_v2LdSiMZj6N2MVful-lOYZAgpkWqMG8N2PjtQJ3Uj-xgS8UdNYlNvT4yTEBmU2MlmJi7mvHj9-PUa6TDmO3CqBoz5GxYGerGeLDP2A=s988-no

The atmosphere is super cozy and all the staff were very friendly and helpful, making some well though out suggestions with the customers price range in mind. We decided that since it was our first visit, we'd just to get a couple reasonable drinks & not go for whales or high-end pours. We started off with a dram of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Scottish Barley Scotch & a house Old Fashioned, made w/ Old Forester Signature 100 proof Bourbon, demerara sugar, bitters, orange peel and some fresh orange zest. The Old Fashioned was balanced, super tasty. Highly recommended as this empty glass attests:

upload_2016-12-18_9-1-59.png

The Port Charlotte Scottish Barley was something I missed out getting a bottle of when they were available locally so it was nice to have a chance to taste it. Really nice Islay peaty mineral characteristics minus the salty ocean notes. Has some really nice honey, hay, citrus & licorice flavors with the smokey peat.

For our second round, it was Brazilian Eggnog made with Novo Fogo Barrel Aged Cachaca & a dram of Russel's Reserve 6yr Rye. When our bartender asked what we wanted next, I said rye. He asked me what rye whiskeys I usually drink at I mentioned my go-to was Rittenhouse and I also like Bulleit rye and like a rye with some creamy body. He came back with the RR6, which was a nice choice; pepper, vanilla, leather, tobacco, woody flavors & oily viscous body. Nog was tasty and my Wife enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of dairy based mixed drinks so I only had a couple sips of this one.

upload_2016-12-18_9-13-39.png

We had some good conversation about the library and whiskey in general with our bartender. He mentioned that there are currently over 1,500 people on the membership waiting list but many are not in a position to join when openings are available so it moves pretty fast.
The patrons, while we were there, were all over the map in demographics and from what I saw, the staff did a great job accommodating everyone's tastes and preferences & the experience was very welcoming...not snooty or stuffy at all. If you want to go out and chase whales, this is a great place to do it with some crazy rare and insanely expensive pours. OTOH, if you just want a couple drinks in a really nice atmosphere, I highly recommend a visit if you're ever in PDX
https://mwlpdx.com/

I have a bottle of the regular Old Forrester at home right now, I think i paid 17.99 at Total Wine Liquor and more....it hink a bottle of the 100 is like 39.99 :embarrassed:

It was a fun evening.

One of the interesting things in their stock, to me at least, is one of the owners' private collection of bottlings from That Boutique-y Whisky Company
Which includes one of my favorite Scotch whiskies I've had to date, this 19 year old bottling from the Arran distillery
2XwQsRIoMknYhIOBB2DqOMTddkawYresuIyJwrKTxPxZMIp2DTUDOmh-aYlrwaJ72qTkIli9hc7oZwY09XvJJzDN0hXLx46HlqdcvX5uwvzDjP1kaDgbKF_DFwmnBf0yOIQOKrqNN9mltgFsaExl36fm2J2DDk0lah2nVwRoYo7MhdELdNEjejpitc2pcBYXfw3UhpMEzupTenINMN5YHiAFhTkwLjPjeMKaL2PYlv_oyqjiHAS4UnAjTV5i2d3bOpcmVGerq5XOOVnWQrMi2XBHHbzD9Lf0-7RA4WDgGfe8IXuHDlnOJXmCBi8NISRMrGWDkU9v4k4hqd0YL9X5zfgnscRlXYB50fYJ-Q9CPvtsEsWvENLVdJ8-UlQQeou_l2umIh1bcCA3l21P42_J4G1Lzkmr6pVfv6q32E9muFGcdCLm5ktD8s7fNLd-xXKNUbC9sh3O6VnTWlKBG1Lcu8op80NfZi5d8IdPf7Ia0RJ6X5MZZ-ZMI3lzpxG7Vyd6uxHOtavBUccjCk_qLq5OaL0Bm-MQWa1ZQracvH0U3zdDckAKyIoWa3HTyZ8iPW_ZKGk1gmN_9DMglORIidX59-X1MggXizjuiEsMSFaSgIPUtQf8H9e9bg=w740-h988-no

:thu:

As a result of the Whiskey by the Dram thread, I have bottle of a "That Boutique-y Whiskey Company" single malt on the way, should arrive this week.

I hope I can make it last more than two or three days... :grin:

Out of curiosity - how much per serving of some of the more esoteric scotches?

they had pours that went over $1,500 a dram for a bottle that's kept in a safe in the owners office. I can't remember which specific one but IIRC it was one of the rare Macallan bottles.

:thu:

As a result of the Whiskey by the Dram thread, I have bottle of a "That Boutique-y Whiskey Company" single malt on the way, should arrive this week.

I hope I can make it last more than two or three days... :grin:

Is it the one in the advent calendar? I'm not familiar w/ the distillery involved but that bottling gets some really nice feedback. Looking forward to your review.

Is it the one in the advent calendar? I'm not familiar w/ the distillery involved but that bottling gets some really nice feedback. Looking forward to your review.

I think it is that one - I'll definitely post a report when it's NWD.

That looks a fun evening

I'm a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and they have a couple of nice places in Edinburgh. Although mos of the whisky they sell are their own single cask bottlings, it's great fun trying a bunch of them then buying bottles from them of your favourites.

There's also a few great whisky pubs here in Glasgow too, one has a 70yr old Glenlivit that is £900 a dram. Don't think I'll be trying that one any time soon :zoinks:

Back