Our monthly "Gibson in Imploding" article.

It was awesome. We used to have a house in the Blue Ridge Mountains on 75 acres. My grandfather built a pond, and there was no way to mow the sides of the pond, so he bought a flamethrower so we could just burn the brush. I can't believe I am still alive :grin:

k4H460l.gif

$5,000 for those fugly things? Can you imagine how this shit goes over with the people Henry J. owes hundreds of millions of dollars to? “Look guys, just give me another year. We’re going after the LA psychedelic scene with guitars worth more than the musicians who might care. We’ll get your money.”

I actually think these are fun, but if I’m dropping $5k on a guitar, I’m not gonna take a flyer on a wacky paint job.

Gibson’s have “old people guitar” stink on em. I almost never see young “cool table” bands with Gibson guitars anymore. They’re cannot be enough blues lawyers and rock dentists to keep these units moving at reasonable rates.

Maybe FMIC will buy them?

Last edited:
I actually think these are fun, but if I’m dropping $5k on a guitar, I’m not gonna take a flyer on a wacky paint job.

Gibson’s have “old people guitar” stink on em. I almost never see young “cool table” bands with Gibson guitars anymore. They’re cannot be enough blue lawyers and rock dentists to keep these units moving at reasonable rates.

My son is 22. The problem was finding one that you pickup and play then decide, yes, I'll spend that much on a guitar.

Gibson’s have “old people guitar” stink on em. I almost never see young “cool table” bands with Gibson guitars anymore. They’re cannot be enough blues lawyers and rock dentists to keep these units moving at reasonable rates.

Les Pauls and SGs are the de facto guitars of the doom and stoner scene. But I think they’re probably bought used, because nobody in that scene is making enough to buy a new Gibson.

I do agree. Gibson’s have always been old guy guitars for me. They don’t interest me on any way.

My first guitars, both acoustic and electric, were Gibson.

Granted, they were used guitars but they were affordable. When it came time that I wanted to buy my own new guitar, I couldn't afford a new Gibson even back then in the mid-80s. A buddy of mine had purchased a used Carvin DC160 that played great, so I started looking at Carvin. I bought my own DC160, Carvins top-of-the-line guitar, for something like $869 w/case & shipping included. I couldn't have touched a new Gibson even back then for that. I think the Les Paul Studios of that era were roughly the same price, but that was about it.

What 15-16 year old these days could even afford a used Gibson, at today's used prices? Let alone save up for their first brand spankin' new Guitar?

Everyone that made me want to play guitar played Strats for the most part. Fender style guitars and their colors were and are more appealing to my eye. I will admit I wouldn’t stop a red 335 from falling in my lap, but in general they just meh to me.

I would much rather have a nice Gretsch than a Gibson.

The news on the Heritage Owners Club is that Edwin Wilson is now working with Heritage. Edwin used to head the Gibson Custom Shop. The new owners at Heritage are preparing to expand.

I spoke with Victoria and the guys at the Heritage booth at NAMM. One of my good friends is an Artist Endorsee for Heritage. They had a blue topped, lightly relic'd hollow body that was phenomenal! They told me that the best part of G not being at the show was buyers who normally were afraid to be seen in the Heritage booth coming over and checking them out.

I spoke with Victoria and the guys at the Heritage booth at NAMM. One of my good friends is an Artist Endorsee for Heritage. They had a blue topped, lightly relic'd hollow body that was phenomenal! They told me that the best part of G not being at the show was buyers who normally were afraid to be seen in the Heritage booth coming over and checking them out.

Ken just picked up a beautiful hollow body Les Paul type thing from them. I don't know what model it is but its outstanding.

Back