Ordering food you don't know how to pronounce

This comes up a lot for me. I point at it on the menu, say it slowly, and hope the server finishes the word for me.

If a French waiter is holding a tray of breadd I just point. If it's East Asian food the menu usually has a numbers. Central Asian and Mediterranean names are easy.

This comes up a lot for me. I point at it on the menu, say it slowly, and hope the server finishes the word for me.
This. And do it with a I-know-I'm-a-stupid-American-for-not-knowing-how-to-pronounce-this apologetic smile on my face.

I actually say "I'll have this, but I have no idea how to pronounce the name" and point at the item on the menu.

I also tell waiters I don't need to smell the cork or sample the wine after they open it, as I would just be totally faking a response. I'm sure the wine is OK, and I'm not sure I would notice if it wasn't.

I also tell waiters I don't need to smell the cork or sample the wine after they open it, as I would just be totally faking a response. I'm sure the wine is OK, and I'm not sure I would notice if it wasn't.
that's really just tradition - if it was corked you would know when you tasted and/or smelled it, and could then tell the waiter, and get a new bottle

I just point at the menu and say "i'll take this" btw it's always nice when they have a numeral by the item and then you can just say "i'll take a nuber 8" or whatever :mericuh:

I actually say "I'll have this, but I have no idea how to pronounce the name" and point at the item on the menu.

Don't sniff the cork at all. It will smel like a cork.
Just inspect it to see if is moist and that there are no crystals on it.

Smell the wine in the glass. It's the first part of tasting something.
Take a small sip and slosh it around your tongue for a second or two and swallow it.
Then take a bigger sip and swish it, and suck in some air over it, dwell on it.
If you don't gag or shoot it out your nose, it's decent wine.

Back