Ordered myself a Garmin GPS/Smart watch.

And just looked at power meters. Yeah, I am not doing that. Muffy Davis, Para-Olympic multi-medalist, who is my next door neighbor, has those on her London bike, but she also has very expensive bikes and wins medals.

And just looked at power meters. Yeah, I am not doing that. Muffy Davis, Para-Olympic multi-medalist, who is my next door neighbor, has those on her London bike, but she also has very expensive bikes and wins medals.

The most economical ones are the power meter pedals. But I think of how often I change pedals and couldn't see spending that much money for something that gets worn out in a couple of years.

BLA.jpg

The most economical ones are the power meter pedals. But I think of how often I change pedals and couldn't see spending that much money for something that gets worn out in a couple of years.

BLA.jpg

Even those seemed pricey. And I hate that style pedal, the kind of "look-ish" proprietary ones. I am an Shimano SPD guy for about everything. And I don't change shoes from mountain to road either. Though I may get a roady version of the spd pedal, one sided and lighter, for one bike. But probably not. The ounces saved are really not that worth it probably, and I have enough sets of basic SPD pedals for everyone in the fam.

Got the HRM strap in. going to try it out on a short "active rest" ride. Maybe 45 min or so. Easy. Didn't sleep well last night and ready for a bit of rest, but also want to get outside a little.

Reactions: Tig
I'm interested in learning more about the poor man's power meter:
https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/products/powerpod-bleant-power-meter
That looks pretty cool. Will look at that later. Going to get used to using this data first.

Well, I did not go THAT active-restish I guess. I spent 38% each in zone 2 and 3 and 20% in zone 4. and apparently 4% in zone 1, though the Garmin says 1%. I was in a bit of a hurry as I had to get back for a client. But a good little test nonetheless. Am starting to read up on how to use the HR zone info to better train my cardio, etc.

That looks pretty cool. Will look at that later. Going to get used to using this data first.

Well, I did not go THAT active-restish I guess. I spent 38% each in zone 2 and 3 and 20% in zone 4. and apparently 4% in zone 1, though the Garmin says 1%. I was in a bit of a hurry as I had to get back for a client. But a good little test nonetheless. Am starting to read up on how to use the HR zone info to better train my cardio, etc.
The default HR zones are based off of your max HR. Over time, I customized my HR zones to match my body, etc. My max HR is 186, which is pretty high for our age range, but each person is different.

The default HR zones are based off of your max HR. Over time, I customized my HR zones to match my body, etc. My max HR is 186, which is pretty high for our age range, but each person is different.
How did you determine your max HR? I would guess mine is not the stock 220 minus age. I have long pinned it on a bike climbing and am used to that effort. As you know in mountain biking, terrain sometimes just demands it, particularly if you are keeping up with the group. I clawed my way a bit into the peloton over the last few years so I don't think I should be a complete lumpy in terms of max HR and zones.

How did you determine your max HR? I would guess mine is not the stock 220 minus age. I have long pinned it on a bike climbing and am used to that effort. As you know in mountain biking, terrain sometimes just demands it, particularly if you are keeping up with the group. I clawed my way a bit into the peloton over the last few years so I don't think I should be a complete lumpy in terms of max HR and zones.
I looked at several max effort sprints and adjusted it a few times. Being a bit of a road and track sprinter I know when I'm keeping it under the max, and when I put it all in.

Here's an example of at or slightly above anaerobic threshold from Cross Reunion CX Men MASTERS 50-59 Pro/Cat 1-5. HR is in red. The lap segments are the grey bars at the top.
You can see that the estimated power isn't correct since it is using speed, like if riding on a road, not mixed terrain. MTB riding also doesn't work with the calculated watts estimate.

upload_2017-6-28_22-18-4.jpeg

I looked at several max effort sprints and adjusted it a few times. Being a bit of a road and track sprinter I know when I'm keeping it under the max, and when I put it all in.

Here's an example of at or slightly above anaerobic threshold from Cross Reunion CX Men MASTERS 50-59 Pro/Cat 1-5. HR is in red. The lap segments are the grey bars at the top.
You can see that the estimated power isn't correct since it is using speed, like if riding on a road, not mixed terrain. MTB riding also doesn't work with the calculated watts estimate.

View attachment 34644

I hit 177 on Sunday, with a hard but not all out maximum effort. I don't do a ton of sprints, but do "flog the horse" up hills on our mountain bike rides when the group would get together. Will see what I can do to collect some more max data. Garmin is coming up with my avg. resting HR at 55 and my resting at 50. It has been moving lower over the first few days I have had the device (since Saturday evening), as it collects more data, I guess. The resting HR is trending down.

Hoping just to train my heart to be stronger and more efficient. Making some dietary changes to aid in that effort as I have mentioned. I got sloppy in the last year.

Reactions: Tig
Back