open back cabinet panel hack

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I recently got a 2 x 12 open back cab back from a friend that I lent it to years ago. I never liked it because I realized that I lost a good chunk of bottom end and overall tightness when I would play through it.

I was thinking of making my own back panel, but once I started pricing out the specs I wanted, it was more than I wanted to spend.

Sooooo.... I took a cardboard box and cut out a portion that was big enough to cover the back opening. I used 3M tape to hold it in place. I'm not gigging, nor will I be gigging with this amp so I'm not worried about it falling off.

Boob... it improved the tone 100 times over!!! The 5150 iii was tight and articulate and sounded bigger and more present than the 1 x 12 EVH cab.

I don't even know what the brand is of the 2 x 12, but it has tone tubby speakers in it.

Only reason I clicked on this thread is because I thought I was gonna see boobs
Glad you're cab sounds good but this was just a bit anti-climactic for me.

How much were you looking to spend? Making a back panel couldn't cost more than $15 or $20.
FYI, you can make it out of plywood, but at some point in '69-'70 Marshall switched their back panels to MDF because the plywood was resonating with the cabinet and making funny noises.

I usually put my guitar case across the back of an open back cab and it's enough. Or you could put it tight against the wall.

Hardware stores sell ready to use boards for shelving. It's easy to just cut one down into a back.

If you do buy some real plywood, prepare to be disappointed. Open back cabs are forgiving. Doesn't matter what the inside dimensions are and, don't need the best wood. The cardboard still has some give to it, completely enclosed, it might rattle, or you could get lucky.

Back