One year owning the Focus ST

Steverino

black sheep
Already. Can't believe it's been a year. I don't think I've ever owned a car that met all of my car needs in one like this one. It's comfy, the price was acceptable :embarrassed: it hauls my gear (as long as I don't hoss around a giant combo), gets decent mileage and it's quick. Handles like nothing I've ever driven.

The odometer is right at 27K. I have yet to take it to Ford for anything other than a quickie oil change. I should probably take it in, but I've had zero issues, I do my own maintenance, and keep it up. If anyone can give me a good reason that I'm missing, please let me know (warranty, etc)

The sound system was crap. I've replaced the speakers, and that improved the situation 100%. Turning radius isn't good. The mirrors could've been a bit bigger, maybe and checking your blind spot requires a double-take. I didn't get the Recaros, and based on your build, that can be a good thing as I hear they can cramp you if you're a bigger driver than I am. I like the stock seats just fine.

Guys mod the hell out these as soon as they pick theirs up. I haven't done much. No Freaktune or anything, just an aftermarket air filter, hood struts, vent visors and floor liners. Tint would be nice.

635C3AFB-96CF-4086-B87B-B773636A875F_zpsthk6vwdd.jpg

Just washed, clay barred and waxed it the other day, so a pic was in order. Still running the original F1s so it'll be time for new tires at around 30k.

Kids in WRXs, Golfs and Civics are always wanting some action and I don't usually play, but there are times when I'm feelin' froggy :embarrassed: Those Subarus are wicked fast.

Tis a fantastic car. Something Ford got VERY right. I wouldn't have any problem owning one.

I just passed 2 years on my FIAT 500L. Aside from the trouble early on with the stupid dealer-installed aftermarket alarm, no issues beyond wiping out a set of tires, front and rear brakes, and a battery. The battery is the only thing amongst that which gave me pause for concern. For one, it was $275, secondly, it's placement directly next to the very hot spooler means it's being constantly tortured. They wrapped it in a heat blanket, but it's clearly not enough to protect it. Not sure where else they could have put it though so...

It won't take a turn like that Focus, but under boost, it will give it a hilarious run for its money. Had a kid on interstate 15 learn that the hard way... maybe he just pussed out at a buck thirty five trying to stay with me, but I still had all of 6th gear left had he wanted to play longer (the 5 lane wide super highway through nowhere was empty at the time).

Just passed 33K miles. It's due for plugs (another surprise as I just assumed it already ran iridium, but doesn't). No biggie. Changing them takes five minutes. I'll throw some Bosch iridiums in there and not worry about it again for four years.

I just love this stupid little car. It is painfully gutless without boost, and white knuckle terrifying once the spooler winds up. It's grunt quotient under boost is alarming. There's a chip set available for about $800 that turns it into a fire breathing, psychotic dragon. I am tinkering with dropping that in with an Abarth exhaust and bumping up to the 18" wheels just for shits and giggles. For two grand, I can have a five door, five passenger hatchback that will take on anything out there and still not have spent twenty grand. Ridiculous.

Speaking of sound systems. This car has the first factory installed system I didn't want to immediately ditch. It's outstanding. Could use a bit more oomph, but not much. Again, a speaker upgrade would likely make it well sorted. All stuff that's relatively cheap and that I actually enjoy doing myself.

Your car looks great. Keep enjoying it. These are golden years for the hot-hatch and they aren't likely to last long.

nice review. Glad you're getting on good with it too.

The two things I didn't like when I test drove one was the turning radius and how the sloping roof line and rear interior config ate into the available cargo space compared to my then GTI. The turn in and torque vectoring were really nicely executed and the overall chassis balance was good.

I didn’t even know Ford still sold small cars in the USA. Here in Colorado it’s rare too see a small care that isn’t a Subaru or Audi because everybody has AWD or 4wd for winter.

Tis a fantastic car. Something Ford got VERY right. I wouldn't have any problem owning one.

I just passed 2 years on my FIAT 500L. Aside from the trouble early on with the stupid dealer-installed aftermarket alarm, no issues beyond wiping out a set of tires, front and rear brakes, and a battery. The battery is the only thing amongst that which gave me pause for concern. For one, it was $275, secondly, it's placement directly next to the very hot spooler means it's being constantly tortured. They wrapped it in a heat blanket, but it's clearly not enough to protect it. Not sure where else they could have put it though so...

It won't take a turn like that Focus, but under boost, it will give it a hilarious run for its money. Had a kid on interstate 15 learn that the hard way... maybe he just pussed out at a buck thirty five trying to stay with me, but I still had all of 6th gear left had he wanted to play longer (the 5 lane wide super highway through nowhere was empty at the time).

Just passed 33K miles. It's due for plugs (another surprise as I just assumed it already ran iridium, but doesn't). No biggie. Changing them takes five minutes. I'll throw some Bosch iridiums in there and not worry about it again for four years.

I just love this stupid little car. It is painfully gutless without boost, and white knuckle terrifying once the spooler winds up. It's grunt quotient under boost is alarming. There's a chip set available for about $800 that turns it into a fire breathing, psychotic dragon. I am tinkering with dropping that in with an Abarth exhaust and bumping up to the 18" wheels just for shits and giggles. For two grand, I can have a five door, five passenger hatchback that will take on anything out there and still not have spent twenty grand. Ridiculous.

Speaking of sound systems. This car has the first factory installed system I didn't want to immediately ditch. It's outstanding. Could use a bit more oomph, but not much. Again, a speaker upgrade would likely make it well sorted. All stuff that's relatively cheap and that I actually enjoy doing myself.

Your car looks great. Keep enjoying it. These are golden years for the hot-hatch and they aren't likely to last long.

One thing I've learned about batteries and cars today, if the battery starts on it's downward turn, the computer will "reject" it long before an older car would. When it reaches a lower voltage that's past the computer's acceptable level, it's time to replace. You could probably get a few more months out of it in an older car.

I put Infinity speakers in mine, with plans to add a sub/amp, but I'm not in such a big hurry to do it now. I've bought the amp/sub, so I'll get around to it eventually, maybe.

I would love to add some stuff, an aftermarket downpipe, a bigger intercooler and a better catback system, and a tune. Maybe after the warranty expires.

Reactions: OGG
One thing I've learned about batteries and cars today, if the battery starts on it's downward turn, the computer will "reject" it long before an older car would. When it reaches a lower voltage that's past the computer's acceptable level, it's time to replace. You could probably get a few more months out of it in an older car.

I put Infinity speakers in mine, with plans to add a sub/amp, but I'm not in such a big hurry to do it now. I've bought the amp/sub, so I'll get around to it eventually, maybe.

I would love to add some stuff, an aftermarket downpipe, a bigger intercooler and a better catback system, and a tune. Maybe after the warranty expires.
Did you do the infinity upgrade in your 500L yourself?

If so, how easy/difficult was it?

Awesome. The ST is a beast of a little car. I drove one when they first came out. I'm thinking about grabbing a Focus RS if I move to Europe. With the exchange rate, tariffs, and shipping costs, the RS seems a little cheaper in Switzerland than in the US.

Did you do the infinity upgrade in your 500L yourself?

If so, how easy/difficult was it?
Yes, after watching some YT videos, god bless those guys who go through the trouble to make them. The worst part was prying the panels off of a new car, though no damage was done, it's always a bit unsettling yanking them off. Beyond that, it was just the tediousness of wiring and fitting the speakers. I also added tweeters to the rear doors (the ST3 has them as an option) and I'm quite happy with the way that worked out, looks factory, only better.
914548FA-AE1F-4ADD-A392-1BF040F8C0C0_zpsv6fbk6d6.jpg

One more thing about the speaker upgrade; the significant improvement wasn't just the superior quality of the Infinitys, it was the absolutely shameful quality of the stock ones. They were entirely made of plastic, even the baskets. And the "crossovers' were nothing more than a cap and coil soldered to the speaker inputs.

Last edited:
Don't need the ST but I was extremely impressed by the ecoboost model I rented last year. Glad to hear you are not having problems, because it's on my very short list of cars to buy when my Galaxy sees the white buffalo.

Don't need the ST but I was extremely impressed by the ecoboost model I rented last year. Glad to hear you are not having problems, because it's on my very short list of cars to buy when my Galaxy sees the white buffalo.

Just make sure you stay away from the base model and/or any non-ST (they won't have the ecoboost anyway)

I've been hearing a lot of bad reports on the Focus SE or any Focus with the automatic trans, and according to what I'm seeing, Ford has yet to fix or even address the issue. I've had a lot of folks ask me about this car, telling me they're considering a Focus and I tell them that's great, but as much as I like the car, stay away from any Focus that isn't a manual, and unfortunately, that narrows it down to the ST. Lots of info out there on that cursed "double-clutch" automatic.

Just make sure you stay away from the base model and/or any non-ST (they won't have the ecoboost anyway)

I've been hearing a lot of bad reports on the Focus SE or any Focus with the automatic trans, and according to what I'm seeing, Ford has yet to fix or even address the issue. I've had a lot of folks ask me about this car, telling me they're considering a Focus and I tell them that's great, but as much as I like the car, stay away from any Focus that isn't a manual, and unfortunately, that narrows it down to the ST. Lots of info out there on that cursed "double-clutch" automatic.

IIRC, that's the 2012-2014 automatic trans that has the slipping issue.
I had a low mileage Focus SE rental (I think it was a 2013) for a few weeks that was an abysmal car...I know rentals aren't the best example to judge but the interior build quality/fit was incredibly poor. That thing squeaked and rattled its way down the pot hole filled roads of SE PA as all the interior panels flexed and rubbed together. It was not a pleasant car to drive and I sure wouldn't want to own one based on that experience.

Over here in Germany I'd be hard pressed to find an automatic, so I'm good like that.

I've heard that sometime in 2015 Ford switched materials of what the seal for the dual-clutch auto tranny was made of. From what I've heard this 'helped' the jerky transmission problem. No idea if some people that bought ones with the new material seal are still having problems.

The problem was the old seal would leak, letting oil into what was supposed to be a 'dry' dual clutch, causing the failures.

Back