One week in... the TC Electronic VoiceLive 3

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
This is an extremely complex but versatile and powerful piece of kit....

VoiceLive3-large.jpg

To most effectively use the pedalboard, I added the auxiliary "Switch6" pedal.
tc-helicon-switch-6.jpg

Features:
The VoiceLive 3 is a complete performance pedalboard designed for a vocalist who also plays an instrument. It operates in "Layers" with the buttons changing to blue for vocals, red for guitar, and purple for looping.

Customization:
Most of the buttons can be reconfigured to either trigger the labeled feature or some other effect or even something from a different layer. On the guitar layer I reprogrammed the lower right corner to turn on the vocal harmony feature just like on the vocal layer.

The "step" button is designed for people who want to preset effects and changes for a song and "step" their way through the changes. I won't ever do that... I need to be able to change features on the fly, so I remapped that button to trigger the Looper. When I hit that button, it and the layer button above it both glow purple so it's really easy to know when it's in looper mode.

Use:
At first I thought "what am I getting into?" but after adding the Switch 6 to the right side of my mic stand, it was easy to custom map 6 dedicated features and keep everything straightforward. I set the button closest to the mic stand to trigger the vocal harmony feature. Like the TC Harmony G-XT I've been using, the vocal harmonies follow what ever chords you're playing on the guitar. Then the rest of the buttons are vocal delay, guitar octave down (bass sound), guitar touch wah, guitar delay, and solo boost. These features are also available on the red guitar layer, but with the Switch6 on the other side of my mic stand they're always available whether the main board is in guitar, vocal, or looper mode.

Impressions:
With a little tweaking and practicing, I was able to recreate everything that I already had in my old board in one unit along with effects and features I didn't have before. With multiple Looper layers it's great for songwriting (I can lay down a rhythm track, then a bass line using the octaver, and even a vocal chorus that I can then riff solo vocals over the top of the chorus). There's also so many effects inside (many of the TC individual guitar pedal effects, ones from the G-Major, and Voicelive vocal effects) that I don't need to use right now, but if I find a need for one down the road I don't need to go buy something... I just open up the free toy store (select that layer) and grab one off the virtual shelf (spin a knob).

One one hand, I could do an entire gig without ever touching a single effect...... but being able to add subtle delays or choruses to vary up the sound from song to song will definitely keep 3 or 4 hour sets really fresh. I was already using live looping on a couple songs in our setlist but now I can see ways to do really complex songs in a solo environment.

The original VoiceLive seemed like overkill to me just for harmony vocals.... such a big footprint. That's why I was using the TC Harmony G-XT which isn't really any bigger than a 2 button guitar pedal.... but then I added the Ditto X2 looper (also two buttons) and I had several other effects. The VoiceLive 3 enabled me to consolidate everything I was already using in one unit, plus add stuff I didn't have room for before.

Cut to the spy from TC, following Bainum, to see what he adds to his pedal board, so they can add that to the next version.

@Bob411 ... I did send them a suggestion for the Harmony G-XT. All of the LEDs on the thing are red. I put a white plastic circle around the key "On/Off" LED.

I then sent them an email saying that particular LED should be a more distinctive color from the rest. They liked the idea and said they would consider it for future revisions.

I'm a big fan of the Harmony G-XT. The MM line is probably the individual features of the G line in separate boxes.

It is funny how I keep thinking about getting G-XT before it is gone but when I play my acoustic gigs, I haven't found a big need for it. Unsure why but don't.

It is funny how I keep thinking about getting G-XT before it is gone but when I play my acoustic gigs, I haven't found a big need for it. Unsure why but don't.

I've been using it a bit less because the guys in my band are starting to be able to do some background vocals.... but when I hear one of them going off, I like to be able to kick it in to kind of cover that up. :wink:

Back