One of those days where you wake up and discover

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
that you have family you never knew about. In this case I knew that I had an uncle who passed away around the time I was born but not that he was married and had children. I just "met" a cousin via Facebook this morning. :)

This happened in 1997 when I "met" my half-sister too. My family is quite a mess :embarrassed:

I have a friend that found out two years ago his Dad had a second family that no one knew about & he has a half brother and sister.

I have a friend that found out two years ago his Dad had a second family that no one knew about & he has a half brother and sister.

Yeah.....that happened to me.
I found out when I was 30-something years old that I had an older half-sister somewhere that I never knew about. Also found out my Dad was married TWICE before he married my mother.
It fucked me up a bit, for sure.....

I never knew.

Boring is fine, trust me.

My step mother (the first one) discovered late in life that her father had two other families in other parts of the world. She has 17 siblings.

Wow, crazy shit without the Jerry Springer involvement.

I found out in my 30's that I have a half brother from my Dad's first marriage. He should be in his early 60's by now, living in California. I'd be open to meeting him, but it would be a little creepy at first.

My Dad married his high school sweetheart and then had to go to war (Korea). A year before he was discharged, she divorced him. I think my Dad saw his son only a few times. His ex remarried and they raised the boy as their own.

His Dad was a Philly cop and they lived in the burbs...turned out Dad had a city family and his family in the burbs at the same time. Being on 'duty' all the time, including holidays, was convenient cover to keep the secret.

My mom found out she had a half-brother none of the rest of the family knew about, around 10 years ago. Turns out he's a nice guy, has a son that looks a lot like me (plus another couple of kids), raises horses down in central Indiana. They don't speak much now after arguing over politics on facebook :facepalm:

My Grandpa, my moms father, wanted to be a gangster in Chicago back in the 20s-30s. After having my mom and her younger brother, he got arrested & went to jail. My Grandma diviorced him, told him never to come back. So when he got out of jail and gangster life didn't appeal to him (because of jail) he moved to Indiana, met a gal he really liked but she turned him down. So he hooked up with and had a kid with another woman. Then he got back with the gal he really liked, and they ended up getting married and having kids. He never told anyone that he had a kid with this other woman though, even his 2nd wife didn't know (she's still alive, in her 100's) but she suspected maybe, after years of marriage.

So anyways this guy grows up not knowing his real father, only knowing a very common last name...finally after years of research discovering who his dad was, finds my mom, and calls her up. Kind of a shock, but a pleasant one, given that he's a good guy :)

I can't say I have "surprise" family members that have been revealed after the fact, but there sure have been some secrets that have crept up recently...

Ah, families... :annoyed:

I gave up on that already Mark. I have cousins up the yin-yang and that is in China as well as the US.

I don't know of any surprises in my family.

On my father's side, his dad died when my dad was a teenager and his mother never remarried. So, there's my dad and his brother. The brother married and divorced once, has one kid, who is now in her 50s. She has a son about my age who now has two kids. I used to play with the son (my cousin) but haven't seen him for 25 years or so, other than being friends on Facebook.

On my mom's side, her parents were married for over 60 years before my grandfather died a couple of years ago. One kid, my mother.

Mom and dad have been married for 43 years. Both first marriages. No illegitimate children that I'm aware of. Just me and my sister.

No, my grandmother on my mom's side had 7 brothers and sisters, and most of them had at least one or two kids, and most of those kids have had one or two kids, and most of those have had one or two kids, and some of those may have had kids by now.

I knew all of the cousins in my generation, as we used to do big family get togethers around holidays and such. I haven't kept track of many of them, and almost all of them now have kids of their own that I've either never met, or only saw when they brought them to a family function and I couldn't tell you any of their names or who belongs to who.

I've been slowly working my way through my birth family. Only my sister and one of my brothers will talk to me. Grandparents probably would, but I'm not ready for that.

One of my "new" cousins posted this on FB tonight:

Life throws some twists at us all the time. It goes with the story of our lives. I was introduced to a cousin of mine today by my sister Risa via Facebook. We never knew he existed and now we have 3 more cousins to add to our family tree as well as their children. Our family keeps growing and the sad part is that while we never knew each other, our families have missed a lot of years and memories. The saddest part is that he never knew he had an aunt (my mom) and he missed her passing this past Friday. Life is a story that we read a new page every day or we write a new page every day.

Reactions: Tig
Back