One man's opinion: The Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona remains my all time favorite car.

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
I don't remember the first time I saw a Daytona or what the circumstances were that precipitated this love affair, but in all my years of being a car nerd this has always been at the top of my Powerball shopping list.

352hp, 12 cylinders, an honest 174mph, and off the scale sexypants.

2_9788_0.jpg

12_9788.jpg

1_9788.jpg

mo14_r146_013_1.jpg

mo14_r146_019_1.jpg

mo14_r190_013_0.jpg

mo14_r190_014_0.jpg

365_daytona_35.jpg

8950342-3-12_0.jpg

img_2140.jpg

img_2163_0.jpg

the 365 is definitely in my top 5 most loved cars, along with the early/mid 60's Jag E-Type, the Pantera, a 69-75 Porsche 911, the 69 Corvette 427, 4 speed Roadster and the 70-72 Datsun 240Z......oh wait....that's 6 cars.....oh well.

the 365 is definitely in my top 5 most loved cars, along with the early/mid 60's Jag E-Type, the Pantera, a 69-75 Porsche 911, the 69 Corvette 427, 4 speed Roadster and the 70-72 Datsun 240Z......oh wait....that's 6 cars.....oh well.
Out of your date range by 8 years, but used to own this:

image.jpg

That's because it's not a Ferrari, it's one of those awful McBurnie Corvette-based kit cars that were used for Miami Vice.

I remember loving the Daytona Spyder in The Gumball Rally movie in '76 as a kid. The car in the movie sold for $1.5 million last year.
i013365.jpg

The Cobra was found with another Cobra in 2012 as a "barn find" with repair invoices from Warner studios.

Last edited:
You know James Bond would have had one of those if he wasn't locked into the Austin Martin.

Aston Martins and Austin Healeys are two very different creatures, but I know what you meant. And yeah, the Daytona is the epitome of that Bond style of class and sophistication, and it's something that's sorely lacking in modern Ferraris. Heck, even the 365 GT4/BB and 512BB that replaced the Daytona don't quite have that same quality. Maybe it's the mid-engined thing, I dunno.

I remember loving the Daytona Spyder in The Gumball Rally movie in '76 as a kid. The car in the movie sold for $1.5 million last year.
i013365.jpg

Chassis #16467. I love that movie. The same car was later used in the Kris Kristofferson/Barbara Striesand remake of A Star Is Born, and now that I think about it that's probably the first time I ever saw a Daytona — that final scene where Kristofferson rockets off into the desert at Warp 12 and rolls the car.

Reactions: Tig
Aston Martins and Austin Healeys are two very different creatures, but I know what you meant. And yeah, the Daytona is the epitome of that Bond style of class and sophistication, and it's something that's sorely lacking in modern Ferraris. Heck, even the 365 GT4/BB and 512BB that replaced the Daytona don't quite have that same quality. Maybe it's the mid-engined thing, I dunno.

I stand corrected, and thanks for reminding me it was an Austin Healey. I actually should have remembered that, because my middle name is Austin. In elementary school, some bullys tried getting to me by calling me Austin Healey. Only worked until I learn to ignore them. It was a great life lesson.

The Daytona looks so incredible from certain angles. The first picture really shows off how beautiful it really is, simple but sexy. That said though, even though it's ON my powerball list, it isnt at the top of it for Ferrari (I know I've said this here before of course.)

I cant help it, I think the 512 BB is the best looking of the 70's Ferraris.

78-Ferrari-512-BB-Red-004.jpg
lot-370---1978-ferrari-512bb.jpg

i013365.jpg

The Cobra was found with another Cobra in 2012 as a "barn find" with repair invoices from Warner studios.

Still my favorite car movie of all time.

And absolutely the reason I want a 365 GTB to this day.

Reactions: Tig
Back