One important rule for pop/rock recording and mixing

Dexter Inferno

Serious error
ALWAYS track every bass and guitar track through a quality DI in addition to the miced amps.
ALWAYS!

With the current project I'm mixing, this has saved my arse on several occasions now.

A couple of tunes, the bass player insisted it was a great idea getting some drive from his amp.
Well, let me tell you that a cheap Ashdown combo (with no tubes in it) does sound like absolute shit when overdriven.

On a couple of other songs, one of the guitar players' EMG equipped guitar would overdrive his Boss multi-fx unit. Digital distortion going into his amp. Very nice. :messedup:
And on one in particular, the lead didn't have enough gain on it to hide his less than stellar technique.
I ended up compressing the living fuck out of that lead and running it back through his amp (which he fortunately left behind for a few days) on STUN. And....a very happy band in the end. :)

Then there's the times where you might get mic positioning wrong or use the wrong mic/preamp for the job.

DI and reamping quite often can salvage a shit sounding track, allowing to keep a good performance. :)

Make it a habit, and save yourself a whole lot of grief come mixing time.

FTR, the passive Radial JDI is probably some of the best money I've ever spent.
Not cheap, but sounds amazing.

Thank me later. :grin:

At this point, I record all electric guitars and bass direct and just use software amp modeling.

Excellent suggestion, I've been doing that since the tape days (when I had the track count- not a problem now!). Those ART "Tube MP" preamps make nice bass DIs on the cheap.

You haven't lived until you've re-amped the snare, though.

Very good suggestion. I usually do three inputs for guitar tracks. I close mic with a dynamic, distance mic with a ribbon or LDC, and a DI track for re-amping. This gives me plenty of options at mix-down.

Back