On the subject of bad strings

irishstu

really experienced
Have any of you had any problems with rusty Ernie Ball strings? I don't mean after use, but right out of the (sealed) pack.

Here's a brand new set as it looked on my guitar:

diystrat-blogspot-com-fender-telecaster-setup-027.jpg

Check out the thin E string in particular. And it extends all the way along the strings. Here's another pic (ignore the finger--I was taking this photo for another reason):

diystrat-blogspot-com-fender-telecaster-setup-016.jpg

The last few packs have had a small amount of rust on them, but this set takes the biscuit. I've sent an email off to Ernie Ball customer support, but unfortunately I'm located in Taiwan, so I'm not hopeful. It's seriously put me off buying any more Slinkys (which I've probably been buying since 1987).

Aren't EB's made in the states?

I would suspect that spending a couple of weeks on a boat before another possibly lengthy stay in a seaside shipping container would do unkind things to uncoated steel.

Wow, thats not good....
I wouldn't even put those on my guitars....

Yeah, I agree fused, but I opened the thick E string first, which was fine (as were the other wound strings). By the time I got to the thin e string, it was almost too late to turn back, and the only other set I had was from the same batch.

I contacted EB customer service yesterday, and they've already written back offering to send me new strings (I haven't mentioned the Taipei part yet--I hope they don't change their minds).

You say the big E string looked fine. It's doesn't look fine to me. I got strings on guitars hanging on the wall 2 years old that look newer that those strings. Let me see package you opened.

You say the big E string looked fine. It's doesn't look fine to me. I got strings on guitars hanging on the wall 2 years old that look newer that those strings. Let me see package you opened.

The big E string was fine. It may not be shining in that photo, but that's just lighting. It had no rust (or none that I noticed) when I opened the package. The package is in the bin now. As I said, I still have an unopened one here that I offered to send to EB, but I don't think they want it. They said that sometimes as the strings are getting packaged some moisture gets in and that moisture is then trapped in the sealed package with the strings.

Well, EB were very good about this. Once I mentioned I was in Taiwan, they forwarded my email to their international guy, who emailed me saying he was getting in touch with their distributor in Taiwan. I then got an email from the distributor inviting me to pop into their shop to pick up my replacement strings (3 packs), which I did yesterday. Zero hassle.

I had the same thing happen on the same string with the same company a few years ago. I posted about it on Harmony Central and some rep from Sweetwater saw it and gave me three free packs of strings. It's one of the things that made me switch from Ernie Ball to Da'adario.

Last edited:
"Please stop by for your complimentary free packages of strings and tetanus shot"

Actually... That is damn good customer service that they have.

Check out www.stringdog.net . That's my exclusive string supplier for the last 6 years. If you like how EB's sound and play, you'd love the Stringdogs, plus they seem to last longer.

(Not to get all spammy, just love those guys).

Check out www.stringdog.net . That's my exclusive string supplier for the last 6 years. If you like how EB's sound and play, you'd love the Stringdogs, plus they seem to last longer.

(Not to get all spammy, just love those guys).

I tried String Dogs and I have mixed results. Not on the strings really, they are really good strings and on my Lead II and Hofner Shorty, they are awesome, I will continue to buy them for those guitars, but on my McFeely, I can't stand them. When they are on the McFeely, they almost feel 2 or 3 gauges heavier. They sound really good on the guitar, but they actually hurt my fingers when I play with them on that guitar for too long. I can't really figure out why they are so off on that guitar. And they do last forever. I think the set I have on my Lead (which I play all the time) I put on in October and they still feel and sound like new.

Back