On the road!

Aaaaaand just this morning... as I leave Children's Hospital with my oldest sporting a fresh cast...

d176bd3d81315fbfefd32e72a682080b.jpg

We return to the car and find guess what parked next to us?

9244e3dc5e981602e0723bf3eb189e58.jpg

f91197e3e77a80e34c1e6221e463b9a3.jpg

7afd7fa753f6a178ef62ec3afa373f05.jpg

589d3e1b391d31602dfb103181e4ba4c.jpg

862d1ab7b36f4d1f0bbec07f1510f2de.jpg

i see those quite a bit around here. i just saw one just yesterday afternoon, zig zagging thru traffic, acting like an asshole. (typical)

WOW!!! now THAT'S something you don't see very often.

".....along came a spyder.....picked up the rider.....and took him down the road to eternity......"

That car was at the show yesterday and the restaurant where I took that photo is right down the street. I guess he didn't take the car home yesterday.

It's a lovely little machine, definitely NOT a kit car. There's clearly a lot of painstaking time and effort into that recreation. Every detail is perfect.

That car was at the show yesterday and the restaurant where I took that photo is right down the street. I guess he didn't take the car home yesterday.

It's a lovely little machine, definitely NOT a kit car. There's clearly a lot of painstaking time and effort into that recreation. Every detail is perfect.
so it's not an orignal, then?

did you "get" the lyrics i wrote? Totally_jammin_out

I have to assume it's a recreation. But on the other hand, every single detail was PERFECT. I mean, there were no giveaways to suggest that this didn't roll out of the Porsche factory in 1955. And it was in the same company as several other mult-million dollar unicorns, so who knows? I suppose it's entirely possible. I was surfing classic & exotic dealers last week and I was a little shocked to discover you can buy a real Porsche 904 for "only" $1.2m. That's fantasy money for me, but there are plenty of folks who drop that sort of coin on a P1, 918, or LaFerrari. I sure as hell know which one I'd rather have.

And I refuse to acknowledge the Eagles in polite conversation.

I have to assume it's a recreation. But on the other hand, every single detail was PERFECT. I mean, there were no giveaways to suggest that this didn't roll out of the Porsche factory in 1955. And it was in the same company as several other mult-million dollar unicorns, so who knows? I suppose it's entirely possible. I was surfing classic & exotic dealers last week and I was a little shocked to discover you can buy a real Porsche 904 for "only" $1.2m. That's fantasy money for me, but there are plenty of folks who drop that sort of coin on a P1, 918, or LaFerrari. I sure as hell know which one I'd rather have.

And I refuse to acknowledge the Eagles in polite conversation.

917 for me.

Seems to me there are only a few things you can do with something like a 917:

• Keep it in your garage and look at it every now and then
  • Loan it out to a museum
  • Truck it all over the country and show it on a golf course lawn somewhere
  • TAKE IT VINTAGE RACING
That last option, while right and proper and arguably the only ethical thing to do, has to be like filling a dump truck with cash and setting it on fire. My hat is off to the guys who have that luxury.

Seems to me there are only a few things you can do with something like a 917:

• Keep it in your garage and look at it every now and then
  • Loan it out to a museum
  • Truck it all over the country and show it on a golf course lawn somewhere
  • TAKE IT VINTAGE RACING
That last option, while right and proper and arguably the only ethical thing to do, has to be like filling a dump truck with cash and setting it on fire. My hat is off to the guys who have that luxury.

they should have a 'vintage Le Mans' race and the classes for the different era cars.
they DO have vintage races here at Mid Ohio Raceway. tho i've never seen a 917 on the track. you DO occasionally see a 956/962 though.

they should have a 'vintage Le Mans' race and the classes for the different era cars.
they DO have vintage races here at Mid Ohio Raceway. tho i've never seen a 917 on the track. you DO occasionally see a 956/962 though.

There are all kinds of events for cars like those.

i'll have to look at those when i get home....blocked at work.
i'm aware that there all kinds of vintage race events. i kinda meant a real race AT Le Mans for the old proto series cars. it would be cool to see them run.
i don't know if i've ever seen a 917 actually cranking it out in person. i've seen them at shows, and they start them up and all, but never run them.

956's and 962's....those i saw racing a lot, back when they were the top guns on the track.

i'll have to look at those when i get home....blocked at work.
i'm aware that there all kinds of vintage race events. i kinda meant a real race AT Le Mans for the old proto series cars. it would be cool to see them run.
i don't know if i've ever seen a 917 actually cranking it out in person. i've seen them at shows, and they start them up and all, but never run them.

956's and 962's....those i saw racing a lot, back when they were the top guns on the track.

I've been to one vintage race—the Walter Mitty Challenge at Road Atlanta—and they had some brutal machines including a 917. There were GT-40s, Lola T-70s, 917s, McLaren Can-Am cars, just amazing stuff. That was many years ago though, and I'd love to go to another.

I've been to one vintage race—the Walter Mitty Challenge at Road Atlanta—and they had some brutal machines including a 917. There were GT-40s, Lola T-70s, 917s, McLaren Can-Am cars, just amazing stuff. That was many years ago though, and I'd love to go to another.
i was at one in the mid 80's at Mid Ohio and someone (rich as hell) actually drove a 1959 Testa Rossa on the track. he didn't 'race' it, but he wound it out a little on the straights. :eek:

there were a bunch of cool cars there, but i think it was specifically for older racers. i don't recall seeing any cars newer than mid 60's. bunch of early 60's 911's and jags and such. several race corvettes, a cobra....etc.

There is (was?) a place not far from here with about a dozen of those.

I saw a newer range rover the other day with a busted air ride suspension...it looked like a boat rising up to plane. I joked to my wife that restoring that old one would probably be cheaper than fixing the newer one :grin:

Back