OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

They can be. The stat sheet shows them at 102ms.

actually, that could make sense. even though it has up to 3000ms of delay time, the usable range on the knob is between 50 to 900ms. higher settings are available via tap tempo and are considered heavily degraded. the 6 chips would give about 600ms of clear delay time, with up to roughly 900 still being in the "clear but maybe a little fuzzy" range. since most people's reference is the DMM, and that only had 300ms with modulation, they'll still get greater flexibility.

actually, that could make sense. even though it has up to 3000ms of delay time, the usable range on the knob is between 50 to 900ms. higher settings are available via tap tempo and are considered heavily degraded. the 6 chips would give about 600ms of clear delay time, with up to roughly 900 still being in the "clear but maybe a little fuzzy" range. since most people's reference is the DMM, and that only had 300ms with modulation, they'll still get greater flexibility.

Way true. It would be cool to see what the other chips in there are because that 3000ms has me still bothered. Too bad we can't get Adam to pop open his Aqua Puss to take a quick pic and post it - just curious!

Way true. It would be cool to see what the other chips in there are because that 3000ms has me still bothered. Too bad we can't get Adam to pop open his Aqua Puss to take a quick pic and post it - just curious!

apparently, it's the same chips in the Aqua Puss and Carbon Copy.

so what does a compander do? the corksniffers have recently been asking for "compander-less" delays.
Idk, it just says it's a "noise reducer." idn_smilie

Is it like a noise gate thing? I guess I could see the argument against it if it was like that, but other than that idk why you wouldn't want something that kept the noise down.

Idk, it just says it's a "noise reducer." idn_smilie

Is it like a noise gate thing? I guess I could see the argument against it if it was like that, but other than that idk why you wouldn't want something that kept the noise down.

hmm...apparently, that's not it. go wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companding

so if i'm reading this right, "companding" is the combined act of compressing and limiting a signal. i guess you could call it a "noise reducer" because it makes the loud noises (signal) louder, thereby reducing the noise around the note. a "compander-less" delay, would leave the S/N ratio the same, while not reducing dynamic range, and therefore being more neutral when in use.

yeah, i can definitely understand why the corksniffers want companders gone.

the real question is, what classic delays also use companders and has anybody ever noticed before?

It takes a signal with wide dynamic range and compresses it to fit into a smaller channel for transmission.
The the receiver expands it.

COMPress
ExpAND
COMPAND

In this case, I'm guessing it means between stages of the delay.

Circuits with long delay times have to employ multiple delay ICs. So the signal has to go from one stage to the next before getting to the output.

Hm, that's interesting. Well, based on the demos I've heard, it doesn't sound like it's sucking any tone out or doing anything undesirable. idn_smilie

I mean, obviously since they pointed it out in that video, Tripps thinks it needs to be in there, lol.

I'm from the camp of "If it sounds good, it doesn't matter what's in it." :thu: I mean, for the last two years I've been gigging I've used a non-true bypass overdrive, lol.

Hm, that's interesting. Well, based on the demos I've heard, it doesn't sound like it's sucking any tone out or doing anything undesirable. idn_smilie

I mean, obviously since they pointed it out in that video, Tripps thinks it needs to be in there, lol.

I'm from the camp of "If it sounds good, it doesn't matter what's in it." :thu: I mean, for the last two years I've been gigging I've used a non-true bypass overdrive, lol.

tone suck is really only something you can tell when it's in your signal chain. i don't think that a compander can "suck tone". but what it can do is alter your tone when in use, and some people are fanatical about "i want my exact tone to be delayed, with no change to it whatsoever". so i get how a compander can alter the "feel" of your signal chain.

but i also take a parallel position to yours. if it sounds good, and doesn't fuck with my signal when it's off, then it doesn't matter.

Dang that thing sounds good, lol. I love Gearmanndude demos too, lol. :grin:

It does seem to color the tone, but I think that's kinda the idea of it, especially with it having the modulation controls and what not. I understand why some players would think it's too much though.

Dang that thing sounds good, lol. I love Gearmanndude demos too, lol. :grin:

It does seem to color the tone, but I think that's kinda the idea of it, especially with it having the modulation controls and what not. I understand why some players would think it's too much though.

i don't mind "too much" as long as there's the option for "almost unnoticeable" too. that's part of the reason why i've been such a stickler for the separate speed and depth knobs on the modulation. plus, nobody ever complained about the tone of an Ibanez AD-9, and it used companders.

where i think people will not like the Supa Puss is that it doesn't sound exactly like a DMM with extra features, or it's "too weird" for the Strymon fanboys. that being said, these demos aren't convincing me to not go find one. at the same time however, the Catalinbread Echorec sounds really awesome too. so i might have a nice little competition on my hands.

oh, apparently the DM-3 used them too. ok, i don't give a shit about companders. the DM-3 is one of the best delays i've ever used. in fact, it seems that this entire circuit is based on mods to a DM-3. if that's the case, i'm really going to like it.

Last edited:
Back