Oldsmobile Made A Giant Wagon With Built-In Nintendo In 1990

That's not the Family Truckster I was looking for
truckster-660.jpg

I would have fucking loved that as a kid!

I actually liked my grandparent's old station wagon with the rear seats.

I always loved those rare occasions when my parents let us ride in the back of the Taurus wagon. Now I drive the wagon, but it’s an SUV crossover with a monster sound system so I can drive around blaring Electric Wizard while my three year olds sing along. Still no NES, sadly. But they’ll get their own tablets when they’re old enough to use them.

That's a nice looking station wagon.

We had several station wagons growing up, but I don't recall having one with the rear facing seat in it.
I know when I was about 17, my dad sold our 1970 Chevy wagon to somebody who was going to junk the car and pull the engine out (350).

Grew up being hauled around in a 1970 Mercury Montego station wagon. Dad liked the 351 Windsor and mom liked that all five of us could camp out in it if necessary.

It had a rear facing seat that could fold down flat to expose the cargo area. When it folded down it could lock so the footwell became a lockable storage compartment.

One 90 degree SoCal day while the parents were shopping in Gemco (this was when you could leave a 4, 5 and 6 year old in a hot car with nothing more than a passing adult telling the kids to keep it down) my older brother and I managed to lock my younger brother in the footwell.

I don't know how close he was to suffering heat exhaustion or stroke but he came out of that footwell as red as a tomato. Dad disabled the lock that day.

Back