Old Maps

MarkydeSad

Token Limey
I love looking at old maps

Here's one of Liverpool. It must be pre-1886, because that's when the railway tunnel under the River Mersey was built to Birkenhead, and there ain't no sign of it on this map

liverpool-2642.jpg

Bloody hell, that grid system is very precise, Tig!

Lots of cities in the US were designed like that. I think Philadelphia was one of the first based on a "grid" system. Boston was most definitely NOT based on a grid system.

Whereas British and most older European cities sort of "built up" however they wanted, and wherever they wanted. The Americans used the grids to avoid the confusion. It also helped to separate the "blocks" in case of fire, so streets acted as "fire-breaks".

I can tell you this, it is a HELL of a lot easier to navigate around Philly as opposed to Boston.

Lots of cities in the US were designed like that. I think Philadelphia was one of the first based on a "grid" system. Boston was most definitely NOT based on a grid system.

Whereas British and most older European cities sort of "built up" however they wanted, and wherever they wanted. The Americans used the grids to avoid the confusion. It also helped to separate the "blocks" in case of fire, so streets acted as "fire-breaks".

I can tell you this, it is a HELL of a lot easier to navigate around Philly as opposed to Boston.

Try navigating around Liverpool, mate. I go there every day as part of my job and it still confuses me sometimes :grin:

Try navigating around Liverpool, mate. I go there every day as part of my job and it still confuses me sometimes :grin:

I believe it. I have heard nightmare tales of traffic in those old British cities. London traffic is especially hellish from what I hear.

I believe it. I have heard nightmare tales of traffic in those old British cities. London traffic is especially hellish from what I hear.

I've only ever driven through central London once, and that was to meet Craig Anderton at a Line 6 conference last year

It was a bloody nightmare! I mean the drive, not the meeting :wink:

What's amazing to me is how SMALL Boston and Philly were at the time.....there were a couple of hundred residents, and that was IT! And yet somehow, we managed to defeat the strongest navy in the world. Pretty unbelievable.....at least the British thought so, lol...

The maps show the "grid/block" system vs not having one.
Today, Philly and Boston are MUCH bigger (obviously). Philly is easy to get around in (they're all squares!), Boston is a complete clusterfuck, with absolutely no rhyme or reason to anything.

Oklahoma is a breeze to get around. The whole state is on a grid. It's not possible to get lost.
And if your road is cut off with traffic, jump over a mile and you have another through street.

I love old maps. I used to collect maps. I had hundreds of old paper maps but never really looked at them so I finally got rid of them when we moved into our current house.

Back