OK.. YOU WIN

el diablo

I'll take an A for $1000, Alex.
I played my Kustom Defender with all of my tele-sortas for 3 hours last nite, and my fingers are killing me .:thu:
What I noticed was diming it was good.. but at levels below that I was lost.
As you might know,I am a plug and play guy. I have a blue tube rack mount with a DBX 160 but it seems like it's too large. Suggestions?
OR I could just play my Soldano and leave the Kustom for practice.

Last edited:
which defender do you have? What are you looking for sound wise? Full on metal, or a slight overdrive?

which defender do you have? What are you looking for sound wise? Full on metal, or a slight overdrive?
Slight OD. I have the 5W. It's a totally dry amp. Added my alesis microverb and that helped shape it out, but I'm not getting the OD on some guitars. My Blue Frog 59er rocks that amp, but the G&L is weaker. In fact, the G&L is a bit weak on my Soldano.
Ahh. weak is not right,, just lacks the same punch. Which is why we buy diff guitars, yes?

For a slight OD, I'd go with the EHX Soul Food. It is my main OD I use with my defender 50 watt. It can go from slight OD to mild crunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Looked at it..seems to work better with HBs . I hate pedals so this is a real leap for me..

Just Looked at it..seems to work better with HBs . I hate pedals so this is a real leap for me..

I have only used it with single coils and it is perfect for me. The sound I kinda aim for is REM with a little more hair. I leave it on all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks nice. Is there any SS noise to deal with?

all dirt pedals will raise the noise floor slightly. it'll really depend on your setup, wiring, and settings. threads like these can help to point you in a direction. but only you will know what works best for you. and that usually means playing a whole bunch in store, picking the best one, and then starting over with your own rig at home.

Just revisited the geetars. The Blue Frog is 50% hotter than the G&L ASAT at the same settings on my Soldano.. straight in and out of amp. So i need help with the Strat (mid pos is Duncan Performer) , G&L and SG both stock..

Aha. The Frog has Lace Vintage PUs. The treble pos is a screamer. I bought the Don Mare "Nancy" PU to get the Roy Buchanan sound, but this thing already has it!
So that's on the sale block.

Last edited:
See if you can find a used MXR Classic Overdrive. I love mine so much I bought a second one. LOL

Just did an around the world quick listen to some pedals online. Many are really heavy sounding ,which is not at all what I want. I just need that little bit more of "presence" in my 5watter and teles. Soul Food getting a lot of love in other threads.

Last edited:
Just did an around the world quick listen to some pedals online. Many are really heavy sounding ,which is not at all what I want. I just need that little bit more of "presence" in my 5watter and teles. Soul Food getting a lot of love in other threads.

Soul Food getting a lot of sold in the spam forum.

Check out the Z-Vex Channel 2. It's a SHO with a master volume in a smaller package.
DOD is reissuing their Bi-FET preamp.
The Mojo Hand Speakeasy is an EP-3 preamp with gain, volume, and tone controls.

A buddy is lending me his hand made (by him) Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer clone for the weekend. He's done the silver mods on it.

Thanks to an enabler on this website (you should be ashamed), I have fallen into the rabbit hole. In order to have a place to put his demonic electronic , I have now been forced to purchase a Pedaltrain mini board, a TC Electronic PolyTune Mini Polyphonic Tuning Pedal, plus a Visual Sound One Spot Multi Plug 5 cable and 9V adapter.
Damn all of you to Hades!
(When you come, bring ice for the beers ,please)

The 808 clone was ok. He put a bass cut switch in it which when playing my T-frog was really helpful. I guess I am so plug and play that I can't get with a hard driving pedal ( although it did have roll offs etc). We'll see what happens when the the works arrive.

After playing my strat with it, I think my PUs are not wired right... the Duncan is WAY louder than the rest in the mid but doesn't seem to blend in the 5 way. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
QUESTION!
I am now receiving the bits of my pedalboard experiment, and have a positioning question. Should my pedals go as high up as possible on the board (although this only leaves one rail supporting them, which to me would seem rife for them tilting around)..or lower so they sit on two rails? The problem there is that any pedal with feet would sit up on the rails, and the velcro attachment would be rendered useless.
Any opines would be greatly appreciated.
pedalboard.jpg

Back