Ok... so the Egnater Tweaker RAWKS.

gibby mcfender

breast enthusiast
Took it to practice yesterday in place of the Marshall DSL and FORGOT to bring the Nova System multifx... :facepalm:

So it was just the Classic Player Jazzmaster and the 15w Tweaker through a 1960a cab... and it was a tone MONSTER. Anybody else played one of these? Had it about half cranked and I was pretty speechless at how damn good it sounded.

egnater_tweaker_head_front.jpg

I hadn't either. Had only heard of the Rebel 20, and was browsing the classifieds on HC to pick one up - then someone recommended one of these Tweakers. VERY glad they did. :cool:

Read the review in Gitarre & Bass. They couldn't say enough about it. Good to see someone with some real hands on with one.

I haven't tried one out yet, but have been wanting to. Now you've got me really wanting to try one out.

There's no where uner 2.5 hrs away from here to try out ANYTHING. lol! And usually, they won't have the newer stuff like this stocked up, so it's very much trial by fire.

The Tweaker will be staying :cool:

Played through a Rebel 20 and Tourmaster. Sorry man but I am not a fan. The sound was overly brittle and bright for my tastes.

Saint what guitar were you playing through it?

I've got the Rebel 20 and I definitely wouldn't say it was a bright amp even when the bright switch is engaged unless you're playing very clean.

I finally got to crank it through a 4x12 in a studio last week and it sounded incredible. I like the fact with the 1x12 I can push it fairly hard in the house and still get nice tones but this was just lush no matter what I did to the EQ and the controls and pickups on my guitar.

Saint, that's rather perplexing. That's not how I would've characterized the tone of the Tweaker at all. I imagine it to pretty much be like a Rebel 20 dialed over to the 6V6 side.

Perhaps these 2 different models sound like... 2 totally different models :shrug: That reads pretty sarcastic, but I mean it fo realz :)

I hadnt heard of those until recently either but I did find them very interesting. Glad to hear it brings the goods.

Wish I had thought to get some yesterday since we practice in a studio. Perhaps this weekend I'll get some clips recorded here at the station.

Saint what guitar were you playing through it?

I've got the Rebel 20 and I definitely wouldn't say it was a bright amp even when the bright switch is engaged unless you're playing very clean.

I finally got to crank it through a 4x12 in a studio last week and it sounded incredible. I like the fact with the 1x12 I can push it fairly hard in the house and still get nice tones but this was just lush no matter what I did to the EQ and the controls and pickups on my guitar.

Used it with a good store guitar as well as my own. Strat through the Rebel 20 and G&L ASAT Classic through the Tourmaster. Both amps were brought to a blues jam and they just don't work for me as there are too many knobs to mess with.

Saint, that's rather perplexing. That's not how I would've characterized the tone of the Tweaker at all. I imagine it to pretty much be like a Rebel 20 dialed over to the 6V6 side.

Perhaps these 2 different models sound like... 2 totally different models :shrug: That reads pretty sarcastic, but I mean it fo realz :)

I tried both the 6V6 and the EL84 sides including the blend of the Tube Mix and the attenuator from "1" to "20". It just did not work for me.

I had high hopes for the Rebel 20 with the ability to blend both sounds but like all amps, some work for some while they don't work for others. Besides I am pleased with what I am using now and with the amp build and future amp builds, I will be able to get what I like.

I don't think the Rebel 20 has too much going on knob wise.

Of course this is coming from a guy who went from a marshall AVT 275 with 900 doohickeys (mostly useless) to a Laney TT50 with 4 independent channels, fx loop, line out etc... to a single channel amp with gain, 3 band eq and a few nice useful extras. I don't even bother with the tight and bright switches most of the time.

To be honest I just set the tube mix in the 12 position (I really do think this gives you the best of both worlds unless I'm going for some really spanky fender indie cleans) and the watts I find adds more "oomph" and rounds off the bottom end rather than adding a discernable amount of volume.

I usually use my Deusenberg Starplayer through it just out of habit but I actually find my G&L ASAT Special and Legacy to gel better with the amp. :shrug:

Plus it looks cool as fuck and doesn't weigh a ton :thu:

I don't think the Rebel 20 has too much going on knob wise.

Yes the Rebel 20 doesn't have that many knobs. About 5-6 years I was really interested in this amp because of what I read with the attenuator and the tube mix along with the simple TMB control panel along with it being a low powered amp. When I finally gotten around to it, like I mentioned before - it wasn't the sound I was looking for. I have tried the Vox Nightrain, the Orange Tiny Terror, an old Mesa Boogie .22 Caliber, plus others with no luck.

I was on the 18 Watt forum board and planning to build a 1974x Marshall clone when a buddy from another forum told me about the Jet City JCA20H amp. With the company just 3 months old, I searched for You tube videos and data on the amp and was happy with what I heard - besides it is a Soldano designed amp. I started to search the GC's in So Cal to find one and when I did and tried it, it took 5 minutes and I was sold. I have since changed out the chinese tubes to JJ's which made the amp warmer and now the grittyness is gone. This amp works for me so much that I bought a second one. The amp is voiced the way I want to hear things.

Now here is the fun part. These two JC's are now part of my live rig where I used a 1980 Marshall JCM800 (100 watter) for the past 7 years. Prior to that was rack gear - Marshall 9001 (Three stage tube) Preamp feeding a Peavey 50/50 Power Tube amp with twin EL84's per side. Used that for about 14years. And before that a 1979 Mesa Boogie Mark IIB (still own it). I have had several small amps here and there but I don't go through a lot of gear turnover.

The new beast that will finally get fired up will be the Weber 5E7M which will be awesome for different applications. Yes I still use the Marshall sparingly but the JC's save my back.

For any that may be unfamiliar with this amp. Here's a good back shot.

TweakerHeadBack-6c818f72c96c80a2974fe11ca9b58a3d.jpg

I like the simplicity of the tweaker there Gibby and would have gave it a try if I didn't own the JC's.

Haven't played one, but I've seen clips of the Tweaker and was rather intrigued. Only thing is I wish there was some footswitchability.

I suppose if I was running one though, I'd probably set it up for a very slightly broken up clean sound, and then do the rest with a nice OD pedal of some sort. :shrug:

Or just run two Tweaker rigs together and A/B between them. :embarrassed:

Back