OK, lighting gurus... what kind of laser is this?

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
Love this kinda old school beam effect at the beginning of this clip:

So how much would something like this cost and if I wanted to go to Guitar Center to get one what do I ask for? Don't want something that just puts dots all over the walls and ceilings or makes patterns on a wall, just a strong beam type of thing.

I don't know what that's called, but I think you need a certain amount of smoke/mist in the air in order to see those laser lines. What you are seeing is the diffraction of the laser light through the mist. A laser on its own will just produce the dot at its destination.

Here's a show I was running lights for in Chicago last weekend. I have the hazer set about 30% and the beams are moving heads, not lasers.

534-1460998672-ae3881622c93c3fa13afb86d0f7a3b8a.jpg

There are cheaper lasers and hazers. I paid under $200 for my red/blue laser and I had been looking at inexpensive (or used) Hazers, but the tech group I'm working with now have their sights set on the pricier stuff and I'm not complaining. :)

Hazers? WTF?

Back in the day you just used a class 3B laser and relied on the ambient pot smoke for the 'haze'. :old:

Back