Dig it! Oh What Have I Done?!?! Let Me Show You It

OGG

Master of the Meh
As my main gigging amp, the trusty old JC-77 has been looking especially tattered and well knackered. It looked pretty bad when I bought it, and it's only gotten worse. It looks very out of place on a stage full of nice new shiny gear. So, unlike my normal dilly-dally projects that linger on unfinished indefinitely, I have committed myself to having this project complete by Saturday else I will have no amp for a three hour gig. We also have our big Fair gig the following Friday. It must be back in service immediately. Let the sanding and prep work begin!

IMG_20160613_162041.jpg
IMG_20160613_162034.jpg
IMG_20160613_162025.jpg
IMG_20160613_162057.jpg
IMG_20160613_162048.jpg
IMG_20160613_162308.jpg

I mean, The Edge from u2 has his own signature amp, and I'm pretty sure Mystix is probably a more accomplished guitar player than he is....

I guess it depends on how you define accomplished. Having a signature sound that millions instantly recognize, selling out stadiums world wide and making more money that you could ever spend by playing guitar seems pretty damn accomplished. I'm not taking anything from John, he is a great guitar player. I would love to be able to play as well as he does.

Hmm. Doesn't look purple, but some would call that color Raspberry. (never got why people thought a violet blue was raspberry, but whatever). I like it so far. I hope you can see those cones through whatever front screen when it is done.

Hmm. Doesn't look purple, but some would call that color Raspberry. (never got why people thought a violet blue was raspberry, but whatever). I like it so far. I hope you can see those cones through whatever front screen when it is done.
It's less violet than the pic suggests. Let me tell you about those cones...

I was nervous beyond words working with those speakers. Being over 30 years old, they were caked with crud like you can't imagine. One small slip while cleaning them up would have been Game Over. I spent HOURS with Q-tips and other tiny utensils meticulously cleaning them up. When it came to the cones, they are crazy delicate. They had really bad deposits and grime on them. I worked on just the cones for more than an hour each with Q-tips and diluted CLR. I'd rather take an X-Acto knife to my gums again.

UPDATE!:

OK, so the big reveal got significantly postponed due to a critical error on my part having to do with my incredibly limited Photoshop skills... We'll get to that...

After correcting my grievous faux pas, I have sent the updated file in question off to my printer/sign/graphics dood for him to print a high quality special product.

Once I got into this thing, I realized that simply recovering it and cleaning it up was not enough. It's over 30 years old, it needed an overhaul to return it to full glory. You saw the teaser above of the blue vinyl used to cover the cabinet, and the blue painted strap bracket. Well, the shade of blue on the bracket clashed horribly with the vinyl, so I removed that blue paint in favor of something different. For now, I'm posting "progress" pics of some of the crazy meticulous crap I have been doing in order to fully restore this little gem.

The original front panel looked like Hell. It was scratched badly all over and had rust spots and areas of missing paint etc. Plus, with all due respect to the old school way of doing things, there were little things that made my OCD go full tilt. For instance, on each of the knob sections, the white marker lines for the various positions around the dial were all over the map. Not one of them was truly centered. I wanted to make the front panel look new again, but I also wanted to customize and update it to my liking. This involved scanning the actual panel in multiple sections at 1200 dpi and then reassembling those sections in photoshop. No small task... Getting them all lined up and perfectly level with the guide/ruler lines was an exercise in ultimate concentration and patience. One of the pics below shows a grey-scale test print of a section sitting on the panel to ensure accuracy. I effectively built an entirely new overlay that is 100% identical to the original (this took many days), which I can have printed for anyone who wants to freshen up their own JC77. The final version that is going on my amp is much more visually appealing :)

Anyway, we're a few days out from a reveal, but here's some shots of my tweaking out on this thing over the past few weeks along with what the original front panel looked like so you can see the horror!
OriginalJC77Panel.jpg
JC77PanelSanded1.jpg
JC77PanelSanded2.jpg
JC77SpkrPanelCovered.jpg
JC77PrintTest1.jpg
JC77StrapBraceSanded2.jpg
JC77CasterBnA.jpg

Oh man! You are being meticulous! I am sure it is going to be awesome. Me, I don't think I could handle all that detail work. I think I would have pulled the old stuff off, cleaned up what needed to be for function, paint it black (as in the song I reference above, but really I mean recover it black) and plug it in and play that bitch! :grin: It is in better hands with you. Either way, btw.

Reactions: OGG
Back