oh man... twisted neck

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So over on the Music Man boards, there was a post from someone saying that their
EB MM Petrucci has a twisted neck. They posted pics... it looks bad. I saw the thread this weekend, but really didn't pay attention to it.

The guy messaged me this morning asking if I ever had any problems with the neck prior to selling him the guitar. I didn't even remember doing that, but I went through my messages and as it turns out, I sold it to him last July.

I never had any issues at all with it. It was near mint when I sold it to him.

He emailed EB MM Customer Service and they said that it would cost $800 to send him a new neck. That's pretty steep.

I hope he doesn't try to come after me for the cost of the damages.

I believe Paypal's buyer's protection is 180 days(which we just passed on this sale). For the record, I think 180 days is crazy.

That means, I can sell something to someone and as long as they use paypal, they can come back within 6 months if they don't like it coming up with any reason of why it doesn't meet their satisfaction.

Anyway... this sucks for the buyer, but the guitar was in near mint condition when I sold it to him.

In my 15 years of buying and selling on line, this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Mojo sent

iu

That sucks. I don't see how you would be on the hook for it, at all.

Thing is, you have no idea how this person treated that ax.

6 months is ridiculous for selling used items, person to person. 30 days sounds reasonable.

So over on the Music Man boards, there was a post from someone saying that their
EB MM Petrucci has a twisted neck. They posted pics... it looks bad. I saw the thread this weekend, but really didn't pay attention to it.

The guy messaged me this morning asking if I ever had any problems with the neck prior to selling him the guitar. I didn't even remember doing that, but I went through my messages and as it turns out, I sold it to him last July.

I never had any issues at all with it. It was near mint when I sold it to him.

He emailed EB MM Customer Service and they said that it would cost $800 to send him a new neck. That's pretty steep.

I hope he doesn't try to come after me for the cost of the damages.

I believe Paypal's buyer's protection is 180 days(which we just passed on this sale). For the record, I think 180 days is crazy.

That means, I can sell something to someone and as long as they use paypal, they can come back within 6 months if they don't like it coming up with any reason of why it doesn't meet their satisfaction.

Anyway... this sucks for the buyer, but the guitar was in near mint condition when I sold it to him.

In my 15 years of buying and selling on line, this is the first time anything like this has happened.
You can't be held responsible. It's been too long and you don't know what he did to it since he got it. What's thew humidity in the house? Has it sat in an unheated area? Who knows.

From the EBMM site

Neck Finish:
Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend

I know Warmoth will not warranty a neck with an oil finish. It has to be a hard finish. I have to think there's a reason for this.

Regardless, $800 for a neck is in-fucking-sane. I'll pass on EBMM, thank you very much.

800 bucks is just plain nuts. I don't see anything in the buyer protection policies that would cover this for the buyer so far after delivery

I don't see anything wrong with $800 for the neck. The Petrucci is a little over $2k (maybe more depending on the model) so that is $800 for the neck $1200+ for the rest of the guitar.

Is that a PayPal thing, or an eBay thing? If it's strictly anything purchased via PayPal, I'm gonna hafta reassess my online selling procedures.

Anywho, 1) Screw that guy, and 2) Screw EBMM - for what those guitars cost, they had better at the very least take a look at it and there should be some warranty coverage if it's justified.

and 2) Screw EBMM - for what those guitars cost, they had better at the very least take a look at it and there should be some warranty coverage if it's justified.
This I can totally agree with. Even though he's not the original owner, provided that guitar wasn't mistreated that is an OBVIOUS flaw in materials and/or workmanship. For what those guitars cost, EBMM should eat the cost of the repair.

It's a PayPal thing. A lot of guys on other forums are refusing to use PayPal now.

Maybe I'm missing something but the 180 days covers specific circumstances present at the time of transaction/delivery, none of which would seem to apply to your situation, given the issue wasn't present back when he received the neck...but from the thread he started, he doesn't seem to be looking go that route so it's hopefully a moot point.

He just posted this...

Hey the above was not aimed at the previous seller at all, just venting on how to fix this. I understand the warranty, kinda shocked at the cost. More disappointed in the product and never ever expected to have an issue with these guitars.

The only twisted neck I've ever had was a Carvin. Probably explains my bias against Carvin.

To be fair, that was when my stuff lived in my parent's basement, and it was always pretty damp down there.

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times. ..

Fuck $terling Ball in his stupid fucking meathead face.

Back