Oh, great.

I like to try and get everything that might go wrong fine before winter hits. I don't have heated garage space to work in so busting my knuckles in the freezing cold just don't work for me

I really should do that because I have to drive an hour to my parent's place or hit up a friend of mine for a heated garage.

I just don't have it in me to do the other shackle and mount yet. I'm sure I'll regret that in January.

I really should do that because I have to drive an hour to my parent's place or hit up a friend of mine for a heated garage.

I just don't have it in me to do the other shackle and mount yet. I'm sure I'll regret that in January.

In the winter, I drive 5 minutes up the street and let my friend who has a meineke do the work. :grin:

I got confirmation earlier that my order had shipped. We'll see if this one gets here as quickly as the last.

I got confirmation earlier that my order had shipped. We'll see if this one gets here as quickly as the last.

w/ rockauto, it usually depends on what warehouse the parts ship from. It's sometimes like a game of tic-tac-toe trying to get everything ordered from the fewest shipping points.

You guys got me looking at the RockAuto site, never ordered from them. I set up an account, and have a Delco starter in the cart if I need it. Gonna try to rule everything else out first (bad connections, etc).

You guys got me looking at the RockAuto site, never ordered from them. I set up an account, and have a Delco starter in the cart if I need it. Gonna try to rule everything else out first (bad connections, etc).

I've ordered several things from them in the past few years and haven't had anything but good experiences.

Yeah, the only think I think could improve would be if they had some sort of automatic cart optimizer that could minimize your cost/shipping options when you're ordering a bunch of stuff. Often selecting a part that's a couple bucks more but located at a different warehouse lowers the cost substantially. Return shipping on heavy core returns can kill the savings over your local autoparts shop but that's kinda the nature of the beast.

I just hate the way things work nowadays at the chain stores. I drive a very common vehicle, so chances are they'd have the high-turnover parts like brakes, belts and alternators, but even those aren't a guarantee anymore. If I have to wait a day while they order it from a warehouse, I'd just as soon wait a couple more for a better product. I'm not going to buy and install a cheap, reman starter that's going to be a giant pain in the ass to install, and a year later, have to replace again.

I can't remember what it was, but I ordered something from them that had a core charge and they shipped it out with a return shipping label.

I can't remember what it was, but I ordered something from them that had a core charge and they shipped it out with a return shipping label.

"You are responsible for return shipping costs unless our catalog or return instructions state otherwise. (You may obtain a shipping label from our Order Status & Returns page to take advantage of our discounted rates. The cost of the label will be deducted from your refund. See "When will I receive my refund?") "

IIRC, you have to specifically set that up or they assume you're going to ship it yourself.

Still didn't get around to the manifold....

Did some 100K mile maintenance and state safety inspection prep on my wife's car: new serpentine belt, coolant change, trans fluid change, replaced a headlight bulb. You'd never know it has that many miles on it how it runs and drives like new. Her headlight lenses were looking like shit so I hit them w/ Megs new restoration kit:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g2000-perfect-clarity-headlight-restoration-kit/
14202_lg.jpg

20 bucks everywhere, simple to use and very impressive results. The clear coat is supposed to be good for at least a year so we will see how it holds up.

Nice.

I got everything I need to replace the clutch except the slave cylinder, which is the one part it really needs!

No biggie. I wasn't planning to do the job for a few weeks anyway.

Last edited:
Correction: the slave cylinder was in the box too. I didn't figure it would be since the order said they came from two different warehouses.

Still didn't get around to the manifold....

Did some 100K mile maintenance and state safety inspection prep on my wife's car: new serpentine belt, coolant change, trans fluid change, replaced a headlight bulb. You'd never know it has that many miles on it how it runs and drives like new. Her headlight lenses were looking like shit so I hit them w/ Megs new restoration kit:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g2000-perfect-clarity-headlight-restoration-kit/
14202_lg.jpg

20 bucks everywhere, simple to use and very impressive results. The clear coat is supposed to be good for at least a year so we will see how it holds up.

The lasting results would be my main interest. Most of the methods I have seen only last a few months. And my headlight are getting really foggy.

I have never, ever had my headlight lenses get foggy. Until this 2014 Chevy Cruze. It's a 2-year old car, and already the lenses are just a bit foggy :(

Meguiars will do the trick?

I have never, ever had my headlight lenses get foggy. Until this 2014 Chevy Cruze. It's a 2-year old car, and already the lenses are just a bit foggy :(

Meguiars will do the trick?

Depends if it's inside the lens or outside.

This prep includes an abrasive cleaner that you apply with a scouring disk. Once you abrade the entire lens, you mask off the area around the lens and then spray 2 medium wet coats of the coating, 3-5 mins apart. The coating dries to the touch in that time but fully cures in 24hrs. On a scale of 1 -10 for difficulty, it's a 2. It's only been on the market for a handful of months so durability hasn't really been established. I'll try to remember to check back into this thread down the road.

An alternative is to sand and polish the lenses then coat w/ spar varnish thinned w/ mineral spirits. Handy if you already have all of the components.

Depends if it's inside the lens or outside.

This prep includes an abrasive cleaner that you apply with a scouring disk. Once you abrade the entire lens, you mask off the area around the lens and then spray 2 medium wet coats of the coating, 3-5 mins apart. The coating dries to the touch in that time but fully cures in 24hrs. On a scale of 1 -10 for difficulty, it's a 2. It's only been on the market for a handful of months so durability hasn't really been established. I'll try to remember to check back into this thread down the road.

An alternative is to sand and polish the lenses then coat w/ spar varnish thinned w/ mineral spirits. Handy if you already have all of the components.

I bought a lens restore product that was the same process, except the application of the coating was done with a small pad that you manually wiped on. I'm pretty sure is was the Future floor wax mom used in the kitchen in the '70s.

Back