Oh, great.

That would greatly depend on the Jeep. I don't really want a CJ. If I found a great condition, low miles TJ that I thought could be a reliable daily driver, the Ranger would likely be sold. If the Jeep were in less than perfect condition and/or higher mileage, it would just be a toy, and I'd keep the Ranger as a DD.
You've got so much work in that Ranger now it'll probably go for another ten years. :) I'm with ya, the S10 is in better shape now than when I bought it 3 years ago.

I'm extremely worried.

It may be my imagination, but i feel like the clutch pressure is changing. I'm overly sensitive right now, and I'm having no trouble shifting, even from neutral, but I feel like the pedal is getting softer with more slop. I'll know for sure in the next few days, but I'm almost certain right now that I've got a big job in my future.

The great news is that a slave cylinder is under $50. The terrible news is that it means pulling the transmission, which for me is an all day job at best. :mad:

Please, God, tell me I'm just paranoid. :embarrassed:

Fingers crossed. Can you monitor the hydraulic fluid level, or is that a dumb question?

Yeah, the reservoir is easy enough to get to.

The problem is that by the time the fluid level looks low in the reservoir, there's already an air bubble somewhere in the system.

I'm pretty sure that my slave is going to need replaced. The clutch is still working, but now the pedal has probably 2 inches of slop in it, where right after I put the new master, the pedal engaged within the first inch or so.

I'm going to keep driving it, and adding fluid as often as needed. The next time I have some spare time, I'm going to take a better look the bell housing bolts. I remember from the first clutch job that reaching the top two bolts from underneath the truck was quite challenging, but when we replaced the engine, Jeff was able to reach them from above. That was before we installed the intake manifold though. I don't know if I can reach them with the intake in place or not.

Luckily, my parents have a garage with a pit, so it makes working under the truck a bit easier than if I were to attempt it laying on my back in the driveway.

It's still a bitch of a job, though, and all for a $50 part. :mad:

Fear confirmed. I'm back to double pumping the clutch pedal between shifts.

Looks like I have some work to do pretty soon. :(

Now the question becomes "do I just replace the slave cylinder for $50 and about 8 hours under the truck, or do I spend another $200 to replace the clutch plate and pressure plate while I have the transmission out?" It only adds about 20 minutes to the job. The clutch only has about 40k miles on it, so I'm sure it has a lot of life left. I just hate to have the transmission out and not replace the whole clutch.

Now the question becomes "do I just replace the slave cylinder for $50 and about 8 hours under the truck, or do I spend another $200 to replace the clutch plate and pressure plate while I have the transmission out?" It only adds about 20 minutes to the job. The clutch only has about 40k miles on it, so I'm sure it has a lot of life left. I just hate to have the transmission out and not replace the whole clutch.
Isn't that always the way it goes :(

If I were you, I'd go ahead and replace the clutch/pp. That is, if you're planning on keeping it, and it sounds like you are. Mojo.

I'm going to have to replace the starter on mine now. It's been dragging forever. Should be an easy job, but no. All kinds of crap has to be moved out of the way and the tranny unbolted at the rear mounts and jacked up. :annoyed:

Well, that escalated quickly. Made it about 5 miles today, stopped for coffee, and there was NO clutch when I got back in the truck. I managed to pump it enough to get pressure to get it going and made it back home.

I hope that in the next few weeks I can get it to my parents' house to fix it.

Damn it all to hell.

Anybody want to come to WV and help me pull a transmission?

I can pay you in bourbon and beer.

Just ordered the clutch plate, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and throw out bearing from Rock Auto. Total came to $169.05 shipped, and that's for a Luk clutch plate and pressure plate, and a Sachs slave cylinder and throw out bearing.

It would have been closer to $250 had I bought from a local parts store.

Now, I just need to figure out when I have time to do the job.

Anybody want to come to WV and help me pull a transmission?

I can pay you in bourbon and beer.

Very tempting..... :embarrassed: I could use a few days off.

Why do you need to get the Ranger to your parents place? Do they have an indoor area to tear the car apart? It is a good thing you know how to do all that stuff. Car repairs in the past year almost put me in the poor house.

Very tempting..... :embarrassed: I could use a few days off.

Why do you need to get the Ranger to your parents place? Do they have an indoor area to tear the car apart? It is a good thing you know how to do all that stuff. Car repairs in the past year almost put me in the poor house.

Yeah, they have a big garage with a pit, so rather than having to lay on my back struggling with everything under the truck, I'll be able to stand up and struggle with everything under the truck. :grin:

If you want to get your hands dirty, come on out. I'm looking at probably a weekend in mid to late November.

I'm going to be replacing my stripped exhaust manifold studs/bolts on my truck this weekend. Shame you're not closer cause we could at least always have one fully functional truck between the two of us.

How'd your exhaust stud job go? Better than my master cylinder easy fix, I hope.

And to add insult to injury, I will have to remove the stuff I installed last weekend and bench bleed it.

FML.

Sorry dude. If I was anywhere near there, I'd sure help out.

I guess that's not very comforting though. :embarrassed:

Sorry dude. If I was anywhere near there, I'd sure help out.

I guess that's not very comforting though. :embarrassed:

You haven't been to WV in quite a few years. No time like the present!

I can do the job myself, but it sure would make it easier to have an extra set of hands when I get the transmission unseated. The Ranger transmission is pretty puny, but it still weighs probably 100 lbs when it's full of oil. I have gotten it in and out before without any help, but I was 10 years younger then. :embarrassed:

I got sidetracked with rear shocks, leaf spring shackle on the truck and spark plugs for my wife's car

I did a spring shackle and mount a few months ago on the driver's side. Still need to tackle the passenger's side. It hasn't completely let go yet, but it looks pretty bad. I have the parts, just haven't had the motivation to do it. The driver's side took several hours and I ended up with lots of burns from grinding off the rivets holding the mount to the frame.

It's going to have to be done soon. I hope I can make it until spring, but knowing my luck, I'll fix the clutch, and the next day the shackle will break and the end of the spring will go through the bottom of the bed.

I like to try and get everything that might go wrong fine before winter hits. I don't have heated garage space to work in so busting my knuckles in the freezing cold just don't work for me

Back