Dig it! OGG's Line 6 HD500 Tutorial. Vol 1

OGG

Master of the Meh
Hi, and welcome to the show!

In tonight's episode, we discuss a topic that many HD500 users have been scratching their heads over since the device made its debut.

What's the issue OGG?

Well, I'm glad you asked. The issue is how to avoid accidentally triggering the onboard Looper while using the expression pedal. Chances are, unless you have size 5 or smaller feet, this unpleasant scenario has played out during one of your most epic stage moments. Either while busting out some intense volume swells, or a massive Kirk Hammet style wah wah solo... bang! Suddenly you are stuck in looperland and desperately trying to escape.

Good news lads! There IS a solution.

Line 6 in their infinite wisdom chose not to address this known issue with a simple software patch disabling the dubiously worthless feature, but fear not fellow modeler malcontents, the solution is quick and easy. Easy enough for even a Line 6 employee to perform!

Step 1: Take a deep breath.

Step 2. Remove the screws from the bottom of the unit, all except the two in the middle (these hold the inner frame brace in place and do not need to be removed in order to separate the case components).

Step 3. After removing the bottom panel, undo the three plastic clips that secure each top row switch to the secondary circuit board. Don't worry, a little nudge is all it takes. Once the board is safely detached from the switches, you'll need a number 3 allen head tool. Using the allen wrench, remove the switch for the Looper.

Step 4. Now that the looper switch has been safely removed, carefully clip the circuit board back onto the row of remaining switches.

Step 5. Reassemble the case.

Step 6. Turn the unit right side up. You will notice 3 small holes where the looper switch used to be.

Step 7. Grab whatever household item you have lying around and plug the holes. A strip of electric tape would suffice.

Step 8. Take another deep breath and repeat the following phrase five times "fuck Line 6 in their stupid fucking meathead faces".

Step 9. Plug in your newly upgraded unit and rock out.

That's it for this edition, tune in next time to see how we fuck them in their stupid fucking meathead faces again.

2225153a27f205ffabb6d99dd7e45f70.jpg

Interesting. I've neither had nor heard of this issue before. And I wear a size 12 shoe.

Good on ya for making it work, though. You're overcoming a lot more frustration with it than I would have.

Reactions: OGG
Interesting. I've neither had nor heard of this issue before. And I wear a size 12 shoe.

Good on ya for making it work, though. You're overcoming a lot more frustration with it than I would have.
I've heard others have the same issue, but to be fair, I wear a 14W and I'm clumsy as hell. When you're on a dark stage, with a keyboard stand in front of you, and trying to sing while reaching for the expression pedal it's a crap shoot.

It wouldn't be a big deal, but once you hit the looper switch, it takes an eternity to get the stupid thing shut off. Meanwhile, you're freaking out because all you can hear are loops.

It's no fun.

As for all of my other issues with this infernal demon, I have learned how to mitigate most of them.

I may yet pull the switch for the tuner as well, because it too is often an unintended target of a volume boost attempt.

Nothing like launching into your big solo only to have absolute dead silence coming out of your amp... or if you choose the bypass mode, you get to play your solo very loud and very dry.

Back