October lyric swap thread

I will be watching this thread. I like the idea, but have nothing to share and have a long way to go before I would want to be involved.

Question, as part of the reveal, will the originator of the lyrics also post their version with music to compare with what the person who received their lyrics created? That would be cool.

That has not been discussed. They could if they wanted to - if they have even done that yet.

That has not been discussed. They could if they wanted to - if they have even done that yet.
That WAS discussed, in the original thread, but I don't remember if we settled on it being the way we do it or not. That was what sold it for me--not so much that I'd get to post the REAL version, but that I could share something that I had already set to music. That way, I don't have to feel guilty about a cowrite credit, and I don't have someone else's music mucking up my experience of my own song.

That WAS discussed, in the original thread, but I don't remember if we settled on it being the way we do it or not. That was what sold it for me--not so much that I'd get to post the REAL version, but that I could share something that I had already set to music. That way, I don't have to feel guilty about a cowrite credit, and I don't have someone else's music mucking up my experience of my own song.

We will make that an option.

I lyrics I'm throwing in have actually already been set to music - but not by me. I just do not know if I still have the MP3. I lost a lot of my music in the divorce and this was one of them. They were set to music by a couple of pro musicians in Nashville that I imagine most of the people here have heard of - but was never intended for nor released publicly by either artist. So if I can find it I might post it after the reveal.

I think anyone who has a recorded version of their original should share that too--it would be very interesting to hear the difference.
Agreed - it's not mandatory but I'd definitely like to hear the A/B for each tune if they're available.

OK - 8 people in for the lyrics swap. I'm going to 'draw' names and then I will PM you your assigned lyrics without telling you whose you drew.

ONE WEEK WARNING!!!! :)

MicWalt has been done for awhile. I have mine sketched out with the chorus melody and all the chord progressions in place. I need to smooth out the verses. Mine will probably just be acoustic and vocals. I sold my bass and I suck at putting together any kind of drum backing even though I do have EZ drummer. It will get the idea across.

I like the lyrics I've been given, but I hate working on them. It refuses to be attached to anything but a steely dan type setting, which is so far beyond my abilities that I'm banging my head against the wall. I hope a guitar-and-voice demo is adequate, because I've chucked my keyboard into the ravine after trying to figure out a way to play grooving maj7 progressions.

I had so much fun with the lyrics I got. Really looking forward to hearing all the tunes.
And Dave, I just sent you the link to the original version of the song with my lyrics.

Got it all.

Until I can figure out how to do a drum loop my songs are going to be acoustic guitar and voice. Which is frustrating because I have the complete band arrangement playing in my head complete with twin guitars and keyboards. Arrggghhh....

And the original recording my my lyrics is apparently lost - which really pisses me off to no end.

A reminder - the submission are due tonight. However - I am slammed all day tomorrow so the reveal more than likely will not be up until tomorrow night - so actually you have until tomorrow afternoon to get this in to me. I think I have 4 of the 8 right now.

I crown you now, the king of slack
The once and future Kerouac
He spends so much time on his beard
That his productivity all but disappeared

Back