October lyric swap thread

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
We had a bunch of people interested in the lyric swap - so here is the thread. We are stealing Smurfco's idea for this so I will post what he suggested from his original thread....

We need to get a group of original songwriters - an even number would be best. I think ten would be an ideal number. Having the ability to record, even if it's just you strumming and singing, is kind of necessary for this, but I think most of us can meet that requirement even if it's a cameraphone video posted to YouTube.

Here's how it works.

Once everyone has signed up I will randomly pair people with one another. Then you will send the person you're paired with a set of lyrics you've written. It's best if there is already music you've written (i.e. not just a lyrical idea) because that makes it more fun at the reveal. But I suppose if you only have lyrics that's OK too.

Here's the twist - do NOT send the other person (or anyone else) the music that goes with your lyrics - send just the lyrics. You can expand on what the lyrics mean, etc if you want to but don't give any hints about the music you've written for it. In return you will get lyrics from your partner.

The next step is for you to write music to these lyrics, and record the new version of this song. We will have a reveal once they're all done. I think it's a cool idea because everyone will get to hear their lyrics with completely new music behind them, and we will have ten songs "co-written" by forumites.

So if you want in - post here and I'll 'draw' names Thursday morning. We will have the completed songs due by the 31st and a reveal on the 1st or 2nd of November.

Those who expressed interest on some level....
@rsadasiv (already contacted me...)
@smurfco
@Chicken Man
@Peen Simmons
@rhino
@Modern Saint
@gtrjunior
@Honkridge
@micwalt
@BlockInlay

Last edited:
OK - if you are in for the lyric swap PM me your lyrics. Once I have all of them I'll randomly assign them to someone else and PM you your assigned lyrics. I already have two....

Let me know if you have any questions.

OK - UP to 5 now (well - 6 including me.

If you want in on the lyric swap get the lyrics to me by Thursday morning.

I will be watching this thread. I like the idea, but have nothing to share and have a long way to go before I would want to be involved.

Question, as part of the reveal, will the originator of the lyrics also post their version with music to compare with what the person who received their lyrics created? That would be cool.

Back