October Lyric swap reveal!!!

Globally: interesting that so many folks submitted older/established sets of lyrics. I'm a compulsive fidget so I just knocked off something new in about 5 minutes before sending them off for a "beat the clock" challenge. Wound up with a new song, so that's cool. This one may even make the next long player my buddies and I just started on.

MICWALT/MOI: Rad Setzer impersonation. Just the right amount of dumb for a song that I regard as profoundly kinda silly.

RSAD/RHINO: This thing is a pretty fun faux industro-metallic take on ye olde breakup ditty. Sounds like you spent a few months hanging out at the Gas and Sip before cutting this thing.

SMUFFCOAT/DDAVE: Veddy cool. The award for Most Beatlesque Treatment of Pilfered Lyrics goes to... Sounds really good. Dug the overall mood and prettiness.

MOI/KSAUCE: I took a number of liberties figuring just by context that this thing grew up in Rootsytown. Decided to take it for a whirl at the local Dark Wave Goth Night. But my take on that sound is pretty theater geek/band weenie at his first Rocky Horror late show. The original has a neat dreamy texture that my 4/4 OR DIE self can appr but can't do.

DDAVE/BADMOTHERCLUCKER: Sweet little country pop number done in the appropriate style. Dug the conceit and the form of the lyric. Good chit.

CLUCKMASTER J/WALT: Loved the spare arrangement built around the shaker. The fee of the new version was way cool. Kinda so cool that I spaced on the lyrics...which are well put together. The OG version is slick and well made. Did you guys open for Couting Crows and The Gin Blossoms?

WHACK/CO: Great impression of the Foos impersonating The Du. Great big rock sounds. The original probably should send a check to Yoko because it's a very neat Lennon thing.

@peen @micwalt

The choice of the rockabilly style is inspired and the execution is impeccable. This should put the Reverend Horton Heat out of business.

The original makes the high concept/low concept lyrical juxtaposition clearer, but a four inch pompadour gets the message across just as well.

@peen @micwalt

The choice of the rockabilly style is inspired and the execution is impeccable. This should put the Reverend Horton Heat out of business.

The original makes the high concept/low concept lyrical juxtaposition clearer, but a four inch pompadour gets the message across just as well.

merci

@Kerouac @peensimmons

Really interesting contrast. Sad/sincere Americana vs cynical/bitter synth-pop.

One question for Kerouac - were you sitting in a very squeaky chair while recording?

@micwalt @Chicken Man

I believe the POV (middle aged drunken failure) a little more in Chicken Man's approach than Micwalt's.

The arrangement of the shaker and the electric piano retrieved from the ravine outside Chicken Man's house actually works pretty well.

@smurfco @Kerouac

Another very interesting contrast: smurfco comes down on the side of panic, Kerouac comes down on the side of disaster.

+1 on the previous comments about Beatles and Foo Fighters.

I wish Rhino would show up, but until then...

The lyric POV (my ex wife is a bitch) seemed to have a lot of hurt and anger, which is kind of the emotional palette I associate with metal, so I went with that. The drums were cobbled together from various Addictive Drums metal midi loops, the guitars were me playing Radio Friendly Unit Shifter era Nirvana riffs on a Les Paul into a high gain mesa model in Anplitube which wound up sounding a lot like Ministry.

These are all really great and I wish I could have contributed, but for the record if we ever do this again, I would need a bit more time than a month. I really hardly get back on the computer any more with a teenager at home.

Love the work though guys.

These are all really great and I wish I could have contributed, but for the record if we ever do this again, I would need a bit more time than a month. I really hardly get back on the computer any more with a teenager at home.

Love the work though guys.
I'm with you here....I'm a slow worker. I just find it hard to find the time to that a project like this needs.

@Kerouac @peensimmons

Really interesting contrast. Sad/sincere Americana vs cynical/bitter synth-pop.

One question for Kerouac - were you sitting in a very squeaky chair while recording?

We recorded that in a 100+ year old church with REALLY creaky old floors. Any time we shifted even a bit, CREEEEEAK!

Peen/Micwalt
I got MicWalt's submission really early on. Listened. And was blown away. Never imaged Mike doing rockabilly - but damn, that kicked ass.
I like Peen's original as well. Both suited the fun/funky lyrics well.

Rhino/rsadasiv
Angry music for angry lyrics. Really well done. Had to be industrial or metal and you bridged that gap nicely.

Denverdave/Smurfco
I love what he did with the lyrics. I know the Beatles/Everlys sound is his thing but he does it so well and it just fits. Thank you sir....

Kerouac/Peen Simmons
This is a great example of going with what you do well. I have the original on disc and no where would I ever imagine an Americana song getting a full techno redo but it just flat out worked. And worked great. Loved the spoken word break in there.

Micwalt/Chickenman
That shaker in the background kept the whole song with this underlying tension that the relaxed 'drunken' approach over the top just really delivered the addiction well.
Mike's original sounds like a pro produced track. Excellent playing and singing.

Smurfco/Kerouac

Another example of two different approaches that both work really well. I liked the urgency in Andy's version a lot, and the way the guitars were used.
Smurfco's original is jaw dropping. Horns! Killer melody. Did you have a whole CD from that band? Blown away.

This was a LOT of fun. I would definitely like doing this again.

Back