NYC Cop Killings + Facebook = Sad

eloydrummerboy

& the Flaming Monkeys
I'm kind of down today. The needless deaths were bad enough, and this in no way means to downplay that, but it's not the topic of this thread. What has got me "in the dumps" is the number of posts on facebook along the lines of "Happy now, cop haters?" and "Let's see what [insert protesting groups, Al Sharpton, etc.] have to say about this!"

It's sad to see how many people are so completely devoid of nuance and the ability to separate unrelated events. Why does everything and everybody have to be lumped into easy to understand boxes? So, you're not allowed to protest what you see as police brutality. Because that makes you a cop hater. And then, every time a cop dies in the line of duty it's your fault and it's something you wanted to happen. That's the line of thought at work here and it's really depressing me today for some reason.

A police officer friend of mine even linked to an article and said "We are at war". I wrote a rather wordy reply, mostly saying "At war with who? The cop haters? How can you know who is who? You can't go into every situation assuming that it's war. Are you at war with the public? That attitude and approach isn't going to make anything better." I got the reply that "We at war with evil" and then was de-friended. I sent a message to apologize if I offended her, and to explain that war is a harsh term, and 'evil' is an abstract concept. It's not very useful to go around saying that you're at war against evil. You don't know who is reading it and how they might interpret it.

Anyway, rant over. I just needed to get this off my chest to a group of people who might understand where I"m coming from. I hope this doesn't start anything against the rules, but instead some healthy conversation.

Can somebody please tell me that I'm not alone in thinking that you can be against police brutality, specific instances and in general, (and think that it does in fact exist) yet not be against police in general and especially not the murder of innocent police officers?

Last edited:
You feel like most people do. They just don't go on about it on Facebook. All the cops I know are decent dudes (I only know male cops for whatever reason). But every police department I've lived under has had some policies, on the books or unspoken, that are ugly and hateful. Part of it is the group mentality, part of it reflects the values of the community being protected.

All I will say is that Cop And A Half was an excellent movie. Anything else would get me warned.

You feel like most people do. They just don't go on about it on Facebook. All the cops I know are decent dudes (I only know male cops for whatever reason). But every police department I've lived under has had some policies, on the books or unspoken, that are ugly and hateful. Part of it is the group mentality, part of it reflects the values of the community being protected.

And the funny thing is, I don't usually post much of anything on Facebook either. Especially not on political or divisive issues. I see all kinds of stuff and just let it go. Usually selecting to have FB just not show me a particular person's posts if it gets too bad. But today, for some reason, I just couldn't sit quiet.

I think I've learned my lesson. But still there's the nagging in the back of my mind, that somebody has to say something. Each of us, if only every now and then, has to say something to counter what we see as illogical and harmful thought processes. Is there really that responsibility though, and does it even make any difference?

It's like I'm swimming against a tidal wave. Part of my family, some friends, a large part of my home town and home state, co-workers, ...

I see the same thing happen on my FB feed pretty much every time something major and violent happens (ie. Israeli-Palestinian conflict flare ups, school shootings, etc).
It's frustrating to see people on both sides of an issue lose their heads. I always feel the temptation to reel them in, but I regret it EVERY time I do. Even if my friend is pretty level-headed, he/she no doubt has a slew of fucktard friends who pile on with loads of nonsense.

I have found it's a lot less stressful to just unfriend or unfollow people. If you can handle seeing their bullshit and not responding, then go on without saying anything. I say all that, but it's rare I can just move on without saying anything.

Of course your position makes sense. But there's no getting that through to someone via Facebook posts who is so emotionally wound up.

I will use my stock answer...

People suck. With the advent of Facebook, Twitter, and all of the other social media outlets people who suck have been told that their shitty opinions matter and have been given a forum to voice their shitty opinions without moderation. Then the shitty media takes the shitty opinions of people who suck and present them as public opinion. Then the public adopts the shitty opinions of people who suck that were presented by the shitty media and adopt them as their own shitty opinions which they then share on social media.

Then an asshole assassinates two cops because he has a shitty opinion of them, and it sucks...

I pay almost $200 per month so my two youngest daughters can have those phone things....
They are probably like most people that are ADDICTED to them,in that they look like every other clone..

They don't take them out when they are with me....Respect,I guess...

I don't have one and I don't think I ever will..

I've got a phone on my desk at home,and a phone on my desk at work..............

If you need to get hold of me you know where I'll be.........

not to be flippant.....but i mark it up to the decline of civilization.
i'm not sure why humans PRESUME that we will inhabit this earth FOREVER.....but we won't.
our end on this planet WILL happen. the question is HOW.
global warming. nuclear war. global riots. who knows.
but it WILL happen. sorry, but that's how it is.

not to be flippant.....but i mark it up to the decline of civilization.
i'm not sure why humans PRESUME that we will inhabit this earth FOREVER.....but we won't.
our end on this planet WILL happen. the question is HOW.
global warming. nuclear war. global riots. who knows.
but it WILL happen. sorry, but that's how it is.
As long as the last one out shuts the lights off...

You nut jobs are freaking me out...

Knock it the fuck off.....I just booked off work tomorrow and am having fun doing this,``````~~~~~...On the puter.....

Bring on the rock.....No Wilco please...............

It ties in with what jelloman says: social media & news nerds make everyone feel they have something to say. But there's the rub: the masses are gung ho as long all they have to do is talk/ chant/ sing / march. When is comes down to actually DOING something, they phone it in.

Eloy, you aren't alone. I am against police brutality but not against the police. Its like being against a war but not the soldiers.

Back