NUX PMS-2 Midi Switcher

Gorgon90

Harmonic Dive Bomber
Few weeks ago I asked if anyone had tried NUX effects to find out about the quality of their kit but no-one appeared to have. Thread is here. Anyway, it got to payday and I decided to chance it and ordered this little switching box for £28 delivered as if it worked it was ideal for my gigging situation where I need to control two amps, one either side of the stage. I figured if it didn't work I haven't blown hundreds on it.

A week after ordering, it arrived from China.

Physically it is a tough little metal box with big thick rubber protectors at either end which also work as non slip feet.

NUX PMS-2 pic 1.jpg

To assign the Midi channel, you hold the Midi/Chn button when turning on and then use the top row of four buttons to set the channel based on the chart helpfully printed on the top of the box. Set it to channel 1 and turned it off and on again and it was set.

You can also set the switch type to act as latched closed, latched open, momentary closed, momentary break, and if momentary, also the time of the it happens for to match the response times of the equipment you are controlling. I just need the latched closed for now so haven't tested the other states yet. To set the switch options power it on with the switch/assign button held down. Set it and reboot and job is down.

In normal operation with the switches all set to latched closed, the buttons 1 - 6 act just like 6 footswitches. My amp has clean, crunch, and dirt channels which takes 2 footswitches to control. It then also features switchable master volumes and footswitchable reverb needing another 2 footswitches. I then have a second amp (same model) on the other side of the stage to spread the guitar sound as we are a trio format which I feed from the preamp on the first amp out of the send of the effect loop into the return on the slave. This needs another 2 footswitches ideally to control the volume and reverb on that which are post the effects loop making a total of 6 switches. Now you can see why this little box is a game changer for me.

NUX PMS-2 pic 2.jpg

Switches are on TRS jacks in pairs.

NUX PMS-2 pic 3.jpg

The switches all work and the LEDs are easy to see (sorry, pics don't show this well). This is actually superior to my old Nobels MS-4 unit as that has 4 mono jacks on one side of the box and the midi cables on the other meaning some cable was always in the way. This keeps them neatly all on the back which is preferable.

The NUX works well and is going to be a staple in my live rig for some time, reliability allowing. I only encountered one issue and that is to do with the MIDI wiring in some of my other kit versus the NUX implementation.

The MIDI specification states that three of the pins carry the MIDI data, the other two are redundant. In my Nobels MS-4 switcher and Rolls RFX Midi Buddy MP128 footswitch, the other two pins are connected and used for phantom power. Hooking the Rolls up directly to the NUX using a MIDI cable that connects all 5 pins caused an earthing problem and neither would work (even with each having their own power adapter). Breaking those extra connections solved the problem. I did this by inserting my Anatek Pocket Pedal MIDI expression pedal reader box in between the two as I knew from previous experience it didn't have the through connections on the pins used for power by Rolls RFX and Nobels. A couple of MIDI cables only connecting the data pins are in my near future as a result.

For £28 it's a bargain and with a couple of minutes programing I can replace tap dancing across 6 footswitches with pressing one button on my MIDI pedal. I will try this for a bit and if reliable will be getting a spare.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, I ended up purchasing a NUX MIDI Switcher as well. It seemed like the perfect tool to marry my Boss GT10 to my Bugera Trirec. 6 switches for (3 amp channels, Boost, Reverb, and Effects Loop). I set up the MIDI channel and I see the NUX changing setups when it is in "Latched" mode, However, when I assign the switcher outputs to unlatched operation (required for my channel switching), the NUX seems unresponsive to MIDI Program changes from the GT10. I read through the documentation and I believe I am setup correctly. Just hoping you had some insight into my troubles, since you have been using it successfully. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Mark, I ended up purchasing a NUX MIDI Switcher as well. It seemed like the perfect tool to marry my Boss GT10 to my Bugera Trirec. 6 switches for (3 amp channels, Boost, Reverb, and Effects Loop). I set up the MIDI channel and I see the NUX changing setups when it is in "Latched" mode, However, when I assign the switcher outputs to unlatched operation (required for my channel switching), the NUX seems unresponsive to MIDI Program changes from the GT10. I read through the documentation and I believe I am setup correctly. Just hoping you had some insight into my troubles, since you have been using it successfully. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, I missed this post when you made it. I have only used it on latched mode so haven't got any insight into that I'm afraid.

Gorgon90. I cud use ur help Setting up my switcher when u get a moment if u would. Thanx

I saw from your PM that you were having problems getting it to respond to Midi commands. Only thing I can think of is are you trying to control it with Control Change commands rather than Program Change (patch change) commands? It doesn't state it in the manual but it as far as I can tell it responds to Program Change commands only.

Ahh. That wud explain it. Sorry for the urgency. I was just trying to get it figured out while I was at rehearsal with my gear I feared that might have been the issue. Thanx again

Hi gents, I actually just purchased a PMS-2 myself to link my also new Trirec to my HD500x. Exactly like jimmons I am able to save presets and use the unit perfectly until I switch to unlatched mode where the unit suddenly doesn't trigger with midi anymore. It's so frustrating because the buttons in normal mode work and switch the amp but the midi just won't fire it!

Anyone have any luck getting to the bottom of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not had a reason to try unlatched mode and my gear is packed away for a couple of days in the cupboard with a Christmas tree in front of it.

When I can get back into the cupboard I've got a bit of gear that can be switched by a momentary contact so I'll have a play and report back.

Cheers Gorgon, that would be awesome. Jimmons tells me he gave up and went for the Voodoo, considering doing the same myself. It's a real let down because at 1/5 the price of the Voodoo Control Switcher with extra outputs it really has potential. It seems to me that it just doesn't do what it says it does, like no one at the factory ever tested unlatched mode.

I have emailed the manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Did anyone manage to find a solution to the unlatched mode midi trigger problem?
I have recently purchased a NUX PMS-2 only to find that I am having the same problem as Jimmons2002 and Crreed; works perfectly fine in latched mode, but only buttons work for unlatched mode, no midi support. I have been banging my head against the wall over this problem, and cannot for the life of me figure out what the root of it is.

Does anyone also know, if I connect this to my un-latched gear, whilst in latched mode, will it cause any damage?

Regards,

Lewis.

Has anyone had any luck with this so far?

I have contacted the seller I have purchased it off who appear to know jack sh*t about the products they sell,

I have also contacted the manufacturer direct, who have not yet seen fit to reply.

You lot seem to be the most switched on bunch of people I have found so far.

Regards,

Lewis.

What with Christmas, New Year and family invasions I forgot about this. Not got a lot of free time for a few days but will try and have a look at the weekend.

Hello Gorgon,

Don't suppose you managed to find any success?

Following numerous other attempts to contact the manufacturer, I am still yet to receive a reply.

Should we not be able to get the NUX PMS-2 working in momentary mode, do you know if there will be any detrimental effects from using a momentary amplifier with a latching switch, over a long period of time?

Hello Gorgon,

Don't suppose you managed to find any success?

Following numerous other attempts to contact the manufacturer, I am still yet to receive a reply.

Should we not be able to get the NUX PMS-2 working in momentary mode, do you know if there will be any detrimental effects from using a momentary amplifier with a latching switch, over a long period of time?

Still not got round to trying this out (sorry) due to a variety of family issues. I would not advise using a latched switched with a device that expects a momentary switch however. Depending on the design there could be damage done.

Hello from Spain, I have a problem... I have purchased a Nux pms-2 to connect a mesa boogie mark v 25, whose footswitch have a stereo jack wire, with a Nova System. I connect the channel 1/2 to the amp and with the little knobs, I can change the channels, the problem is that when I connect the midi cable between the nova system and the nux... I dont know what to do for connect them. In the nux I have configure channel 2 for midi and the Nova system channel 2 too. But, What I have to configure at the Nova System to change the channels via Nux?

Thanks a lot

Hello from Spain, I have a problem... I have purchased a Nux pms-2 to connect a mesa boogie mark v 25, whose footswitch have a stereo jack wire, with a Nova System. I connect the channel 1/2 to the amp and with the little knobs, I can change the channels, the problem is that when I connect the midi cable between the nova system and the nux... I dont know what to do for connect them. In the nux I have configure channel 2 for midi and the Nova system channel 2 too. But, What I have to configure at the Nova System to change the channels via Nux?

Thanks a lot

The NUX appears to have issues with recalling momentary switching via Midi. Does the Mesa have latched or momentary switches in the foot pedal? If it's momentary then I don't know of a solution at this time.

If it's latched then read on:

It is important to remember that the NUX works on Program Changes NOT Continuous Controller (CC) Messages. I had a look at the English manual for the Nova System here: http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/218009/tc_electronic_nova_system_manual_english.pdf

Reading that I'd try this:

1. On the Nova you need to turn on Program Change Out.
  2. Define a program number that you want the Nova to send the NUX when you recall a patch on the Nova.
  3. Set the NUX switches up as required.
  4. Recall the patch on the Nova which sends the program change to the NUX.
  5. Save on the NUX so that it knows to recall those settings when that program change is received.
  6. Repeat as required for all your patches on the Nova.
Note that as you are only using 2 switches with the Mesa, there are only four options and thereby you only need to send 4 different programs from the Nova. See below:

Switch 1------Switch 2-------Program
(Channel)-----(EQ)

Off--------------Off--------------01
Off--------------On--------------02
On--------------Off--------------03
On--------------On--------------04

Nothing stopping you creating more programs to send the NUX but if you're only using the Switch 1/2 socket they will be duplicates of the above. Note that the program numbers used are simply an example and you can use whatever numbers you like between 0 and 127 for sending commands to the NUX.

Hope this helps, good luck with it.

I love how @Gorgon90 has become the international expert on this particular device :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should ask for an endorsement or something. :grin:

Thanks, and how do It in The Nux? First I select a programar number midi between 1-16, ok? For example 1, then pressing on and switch I have to select 1 and 2 with leds off or on? And then save.

If in The Nova i have configured that channel 8 bank 2 mapping out 1, when I press this Button, automatically sends The order 1 to The Nux, and The Nux The switch change?

Is this correct? Thanks

But The communication between Nova and Nux is vía The number Nova sent to Nux?

Thanks, and how do It in The Nux? First I select a programar number midi between 1-16, ok? For example 1, then pressing on and switch I have to select 1 and 2 with leds off or on? And then save.

If in The Nova i have configured that channel 8 bank 2 mapping out 1, when I press this Button, automatically sends The order 1 to The Nux, and The Nux The switch change?

Is this correct? Thanks

But The communication between Nova and Nux is vía The number Nova sent to Nux?

It sounds like you're confusing the selecting the Midi Channel with program selection.

Think of a Midi Channel like a radio frequency. Choosing 1 to 16 is like selecting what radio station/frequency you're going to listen to. The Program Change command is what comes over that Midi Channel, like a song from the radio station.

Setting the NUX to listen on the same Midi channel as the NOVA is broadcasting on is the first part of what you need to do. From what you've said earlier, the NOVA and NUX are both set to Midi Channel 2.

What you do next is get the Nova to send a program change message to the NUX as per your mapping above (1 gets sent when you choose channel 8 bank 2 if I read that correctly).

The NUX remembers the last program change received so now set the switches on the NUX as needed for the Mesa and then hit the save button. The NUX will now remember the switch settings against that program number and recall them when it receives the same program number again. Note that you can't set the program/patch number on the NUX itself, it only works on what it receives.

This is how I use mine to control all the switching on my combo amps. To test it has worked change the switches via the buttons on the front of the NUX and then recall the same patch on the NOVA and it should switch to what you saved.

Good luck.

Back