Nuclear tourism.

I know this is a very, very personal pet peeve but the photographer trick of "Let's put a child's doll in this scene to make it poignant" disgusts me.

The doll in picture #2 was obviously brand new and put there just to create emotional impact. I couldn't say about the others but the fact that the photographer is obviously willing to "create" rather than "capture" the scene puts it in doubt.

Interesting, but I'd rather go solo instead of being with a hovering guide.

I know this is a very, very personal pet peeve but the photographer trick of "Let's put a child's doll in this scene to make it poignant" disgusts me.

The doll in picture #2 was obviously brand new and put there just to create emotional impact. I couldn't say about the others but the fact that the photographer is obviously willing to "create" rather than "capture" the scene puts it in doubt.

Yeah, there are several planted dolls among the ones that appear to have been there quite a while.
05-doll-near-playground-slide-670.jpg

08-chernobyl-doll-gasmask-crib-670.jpg

At least this looks mostly undisturbed.
07-childrens-toy-and-chairs-670.jpg

To be fair, the photographer is completely honest and transparent about what was done.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with trying to "create" rather than to "capture", as long as it's not dishonest.

That said, I don't think that those shots are effective.

Of all the possible vacation sites I haven't visited yet, Chernobyl ranks about 9,389th.

And the only reason it is on the list at all is because I could get some "doll in the foreground" shots for my collection. :grin:

Reactions: Tig
I'd really like to visit the Trinity test site in New Mexico, but I think that it's only open to the public one or two days a year, due to lack of funding.

I'd really like to visit the Trinity test site in New Mexico, but I think that it's only open to the public one or two days a year, due to lack of funding.

Although the funding part from the Army/DOD is true enough, security is a prime concern too. The trinity site is part of the White Sands Missile range. Lots of aerospace testing still goes on there.

Back