NSD

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I just picked up a vintage sitar on Craigslist. The seller’s parents brought it back from India in the 1990s. It’s in great shape aside from needing new strings. The fret thread is old and faded, so I’ll probably replace them all while I’m doing the strings.

This is a nice instrument. Sitar quality is indicated in part by the quality of the carving. This one has a very intricate carving on the reverse of the neck joint. This carving is much nicer than what the same maker produces now, so I think this is a very high-end instrument by an earlier incarnation of the company. I hope this will be the last sitar I buy unless I decide to have a carbon-fiber instrument made in the future.

Hi-res gallery is on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/28813954@N02/33957692326/in/album-72157679960657322/

DyIKWDn.jpg

Sl5KErW.jpg

o0yMgyw.jpg

That's really nice....I give you a lot of credit....I wouldn't know wtf to do with that thing!!! Are you taking lessons? How did you/are you learning how to play that?

I take lessons from an American who also teaches guitar. Learning Indian classical music without a teacher is a lost cause. Indian classical music uses just intonation, has no static note values, asymmetric scales, microtones, ornament on almost every note, cyclical time structures, and it’s largely improvised. Much of the terminology isn’t standardized and every regional/familial style does things differently. Only the greatest masters/scholars like Ravi Shankar can legitimately claim to not be out of their depth.

Back