NPW - New Pedals Week

speakerjones

my hat is all
So, I picked up a few new pedals in the last week. I've been doing some trading on the local classifieds and picked up, in a trade plus cash for a guitar, an EHX Superego and a TC Shaker. Also, in trade for an old Ibby Bass Synth pedal, I scored a Noisemaker Effects Dead Hipster.

The superego is really neat. They call it a synth engine. Kind of a glissando effect with a sustainer. You can set it in a few different modes - for kind of a multi loop mode called latch where you can layer notes/chords/sounds on top of each other while continuing to play over it. Then there's a momentary mode (not called anything) where you can sustain notes, along with that gliss effect, by hitting and holding the switch. Finally, there's auto mode where the synth effect responds to your playing dynamics. You can set the gliss really low and you get a percussive, almost banjo-like effect out of it. Perhaps the coolest feature, though, is the effects loop which allows you to engage another effect along with the synth. Time based effects rule here. I've been trying out my CoPilot Android ring Modulator in that spot. The few demos out there really don't do the thing justice for its capability for weirdness.

0a57000c38397ae58e2849c31a52e687.jpg

The TC Shaker is a vibrato. I play around a lot with my Leslie in the studio, so I'm hoping this will help me get closer to that sound live. It's got the tone print thing like my hall of fame, so I'll have to check that out.

I hadn't heard of Noisemaker Effects, but "Dead Hipster" is a pretty funny name for a pedal. It's listed as an overdrive on their website, but that's not entirely accurate. In its lower gain range it's a chimey boost. As you turn up the gain, it adds subtle grit, almost reminiscent of a ripped speaker. Only at the very top of its gain range does it get into overdrive territory. It gets there very quickly, almost instantly turning into a fuzzy garage rock overdrive sound. I'm pretty impressed by this thing. I think I'm going to let it hang on my board for a while. Noisemaker seems to offer a bunch of drive pedals at very reasonable prices. The build quality seems to be high. The decal on mine is pretty worn out, maybe one place where they cheaped out to keep costs down.

41ad1151d16a96beaa496c48ee0ba636.jpg

I could not figure out the SuperEgo. I had to go with the dumbed down Freeze. Looking forward to your thoughts on he extra controls.

I could not figure out the SuperEgo. I had to go with the dumbed down Freeze. Looking forward to your thoughts on he extra controls.

The extra controls basically control how much gliss effect (and external effect if you're using the loop) is applied to the wet signal. So far, I've just found a setting I like and stuck with it. I do like having the loop though.

I added the AKAI Headrush into the mix last week. I've been wanting one of these for a while and Sweetwater was blowing them out, so I bit. This replaces the TC Nova Delay, which was cool, but not super user friendly to tweak things on the fly.

Here's the board with the new stuff added.

IMG_6488.JPG

How do you like the HeadRush? It is an interesting idea for a tape delay simulator. I almost bit on it too when they were blowing them out, but I already have a delay that works for me. The cool thing about the HeadRush is that you can put a dummy plug in the various outputs to turn off those "heads". You could probably get some different delay types (e.g. dotted eights, etc.) by playing around with that. That's how I understood the manual anyway...

Back