NPR First Listen: Rhiannon Giddens

Rhiannon is great, but my favorite stuff so far is with the Chocolate Drops. Similar to Alison Krauss, I like her best in the context of an ensemble...even one that she leads or working with other artists. That said, it sounds quite good so far...better than her first solo album for me ears.

Rhiannon is great, but my favorite stuff so far is with the Chocolate Drops. Similar to Alison Krauss, I like her best in the context of an ensemble...even one that she leads or working with other artists. That said, it sounds quite good so far...better than her first solo album for me ears.

the Chocolate Drops. I couldn't remember where she was from. I remember seeing them in some documentary on Netflix and wanting to check them out.

Andy, how goes music at work? When I used to work in restaurants and kitchens I found the taste in music to be horrible...except for the dishwashers. There was one guy that loved Motown, so that's an obvious exception to my experience.

Of course, your kitchen may be music free, but if it's not I was just wondering.

^ You pretty much took the words from my mouth.

Andy, how goes music at work? When I used to work in restaurants and kitchens I found the taste in music to be horrible...except for the dishwashers. There was one guy that loved Motown, so that's an obvious exception to my experience.

Of course, your kitchen may be music free, but if it's not I was just wondering.

It really depends. A lot of us use headphones, but occasionally chef has "headphone blackouts" when we need a lot of communication (such as banquet prep) and we generally just put a speaker on. We rotate through music-wise a lot, but we all have some pretty diverse tastes...

Chef: Jam Bands, especially Widespread Panic and Phish. But he loves music in general and we can hear anything from Miles Davis to Social Distortion (his other favourite band.) Lotsa Drive-by Truckers too.
Jeff: Classic radio rock and a bit of metal. Lots of Joe Walsh/Styx/Foreigner/Van Halen/etc.
Doug: He only works one night a week, so he rarely takes over the radio. When he does, it's usually the Grateful Dead or some other Jam Band.
Taylor: All hip-hop, all the time.
Sous-Chef: Really into the blues, Led Zeppelin, Rival Sons, but also loves pop music. Lots of Justin Timberlake, The Weekend, etc.

I saw her in Nashville a few weeks ago but didn't know who she was. But I do remember thinking she was a hell of a singer.

Thanks for sharing. Like what I've heard so far. Plus, she's playing the Chicago Blues Festival (same day as Gary Clark Jr) in June.

Back