NPR - Do Some musicians play too well?

^^ He's only 17. Or, she's only 17. :) There was some pretty amazing stunt guitar in the 80's hair band scene. Almost all of it was in cheesy songs, but there was some amazing guitar work in there too. I remember guys like Reb Beach and Vito Bratta tearing it up behind a hair metal band blasting chick rock and being terribly impressed with their playing. It was the golden age of stunt guitar.

You're confusing White Lion with Winger. And don't say, "Whatever" because they were totally different bands.

All hair metal was not created equal and it was more varied than neophytes can comprehend. Most of the best bands from that era played the kind of guitar that suited the music. Some pushed the envelope while still making it all work. People talk about "Stunts." Albert King solos simply won't work within a DLR tune and a Steve Lynch solo wouldn't right in Robert Cray tune. It's fairly logical stuff. I'm shocked by the people they get to write these articles, while qualified music writers sit idle.

The good thing about 80's hair bands is the HUGE number of kids it persuaded to buy guitars and to rock.

On the bad side, it also gave us Bon "laaaaaay me down on a bed of roses, its my life, I'm a fucking douchebag cowboy etc etc etc' Jovi.

You're confusing White Lion with Winger. And don't say, "Whatever" because they were totally different bands.

All hair metal was not created equal and it was more varied than neophytes can comprehend. Most of the best bands from that era played the kind of guitar that suited the music. Some pushed the envelope while still making it all work. People talk about "Stunts." Albert King solos simply won't work within a DLR tune and a Steve Lynch solo wouldn't right in Robert Cray tune. It's fairly logical stuff. I'm shocked by the people they get to write these articles, while qualified music writers sit idle.

I wasn't confused. I was poking fun at the Wein being 17 and playing White Lion. The Winger tune seemed appropriate to the discussion, as Reb Beach was a bad ass player too.

Back