NPD

Chad

Slender Hobbit
Nothing cool. I picked up a EHX Hum Debugger. I am really considering getting a band going after my summer of hell coming up. I went to see a friend's band play a few weeks ago. One of the other bands, had a guy playing a strat and the hum was insane. He did have the gain up way too much, but still. People in the crowd were actually yelling at him in between songs to "fix the hum!!" So I decided, since I play nothing but single coils, I should probably do something before I try to get something going. I just gave it a test run and it does nuke the hum completely. There is a bit of a tone change, the guitar seems a little brighter with it on, so when I have more time, I will mess with my EQ a bit to compensate for the extra brightness.

I have looked at that (I admit that I have been "looking" for an embarrassingly long time), and started thinking more about it, because when I play my Strat with the 60's pickups through the DRRI in the living room, I get a pretty strong hum between songs. If I touch the strings it goes away, so I have been thinking this might be a solution.

Ahh. Darn. (Well, HNPD anyway). But was looking for you to have picked up a Catalinbread something or other. Dirty Little Secret, Sabbra Cadabra, . . . Oh, Oh!! The Karma Suture looks cool!

but happy new practical pedal day. :grin:

Nothing cool. I picked up a EHX Hum Debugger. I am really considering getting a band going after my summer of hell coming up. I went to see a friend's band play a few weeks ago. One of the other bands, had a guy playing a strat and the hum was insane. He did have the gain up way too much, but still. People in the crowd were actually yelling at him in between songs to "fix the hum!!" So I decided, since I play nothing but single coils, I should probably do something before I try to get something going. I just gave it a test run and it does nuke the hum completely. There is a bit of a tone change, the guitar seems a little brighter with it on, so when I have more time, I will mess with my EQ a bit to compensate for the extra brightness.
Maybe the hum is an agent of Death Metal, its mission : eliminate any emanating of cheerfulness.

so after I sold my Monkeymatic and Roland JC55, I decided I needed to have something, so I scored an Egnater Tweaker. I had one before and they sound good enough. The best part is they have a bright switch. So I dialed in my tone with the bright switch on and if I need the hum debugger, I can turn the bright switch off and it offsets the added brightness from the debugger. It is almost a perfect offset.

Back