NPD! Wah experts... what is this component?

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So I bought the Creepy Fingers wah. HNPD to me!

Wondering what the component is, highlighted below. Is it a way to adjust the tone?

upload_2018-2-9_13-29-57.png

Yep, it's a trim pot. SOME pedals are made to have the user tweak with a trim pot. See if you can find some kind of owners manual online for that particular wah. If you can't find anything e mail the builder.

If that's the colorsound fuzz wah, it would be the output of the fuzz stage, IIRC.

In some wahs, that type of pot can control the center frequency point on the sweep among other things. Some wahs have one for a volume or distortion too. Best thing is what Bob said, try to find a manual.

Did some experimenting, it basically controls how low the sweep goes... I've got it going all the way! Nice dynamic range. :cool:

So from that pic can you tell if it's buffered? When I pull power when it's off I lose all signal...

Just hoping it doesn't suck tone like my old 95Q crybaby... but the 95 Q buffer is notoriously uhhh... not good.

Edit: It does pop when I turn it on/off... not bad (can definitely deal with it) this smacks of non buffered, no?

Edit phase 2: Never mind, cvogue fail! When I pulled power the effect was on so of course it didn't work. Tried the same thing when it was off and it does pass signal. thwap0:facepalm:

Last edited:
OK so I brought home my "new" Creepy Fingers (Colorsound clone) from band practice I have my Crybaby Classic at home so I could A/B them. First of all to my ears the Crybaby sounds a lot harsher than the CF. I think that's just the design, Colorsound has a certain tone and the Crybaby has a different one. Matter of taste (my wife liked the Crybaby better for wah's over leads).

Could it be the Fasel inductor that causes the harshness? That's what the Crybaby Classic uses.

The CF is a *lot* smoother, I will say that.

Where the CF really shined was when you just do a droning note and move the pedal through the whole sweep. Wow!! The CF has a very vocal sound to it and it just has more sweep and it's very smooth. The Crybaby just didn't sound nearly as dynamic, not nearly as much change in tone from heel to toe. Crybaby was harsher too. This introduces a whole new effect/technique in my arsenal that I just don't get with the Crybaby.

Not bashing the Crybaby, it's a good wah but the CF is a boutique one (I guess... kind of a smaller brand), I just really liked the CF a lot better. Been a Crybaby user for years, never heard of Creepy Fingers or even Colorsound until recently. Glad I found it! :cool:

Back