NPD! This just happened (Vai Legacy Edition)

Yeah, that IS a lot of knobs. From what I've since read, and the YouTube videos I've watched, it is for all intent and purpose, a Vai Legacy Amp without the power section and cabinet (but it has a cab simulator). Watching specifically the video Vai himself made about it, it pretty much makes any amp with a transparent clean channel or going direct to P.A. sound pretty much just like the whole Amp. He sure does seem happy with it.

Was never really a Vai fan musically, but he is one Hell of a Player and has about as good a tone as any of the elite shred-o-maniacs. I don't do shred, or metal, but I actually use a lead tone very similar to his... smooth, creamy, long sustain, long delays... somewhere between him and DeGarmo. So I think I might just get some pretty good use of this thing.

The two dirt pedals currently on my board will both stay, because they each do their particular thing as only they can (Rat, and HM-2), but this thing seems versatile enough to cover a ton of ground in between, and I'll bet the JC makes a perfect platform for it. I should find out later today.

Funny how I am a Vai fanboi but not one to copy his gear platform. Always respected and loved his playing because it is unorthodox.

Enjoy the pedal bro!!!

Reactions: OGG
The two dirt pedals currently on my board will both stay, because they each do their particular thing as only they can (Rat, and HM-2)
What are their particular things (to you)?
i "know" that the HM-2 is the quintessential Swedish death metal pedal, but I guess that's not your thing.

What are their particular things (to you)?
i "know" that the HM-2 is the quintessential Swedish death metal pedal, but I guess that's not your thing.
The RAT does 80s non-metal, high gain stuff like no other. That's why so many of the New Wave guys like Paul Reynolds (A Flock of Seagulls), Jamie West-Orem (The Fixx), Andy Summers, and a ton of others used them exclusively for their distortion sounds. Being in a band that plays so much of that stuff, it's essential.

The Boss is WAY more versatile than a lot of people give it credit for, but later 80s high gain stuff is where it shines brightest. When I'm playing "Rebel Yell", no other pedal is going to get me there. It also does stuff like "Sonic Temple" Era stuff by The Cult perfectly along with a lot of other stuff.

I'll listen to "Rebel Yell" again, I don't remember it as particularly gain-y.

I have heard about the HM-2 not being versatile (that the gain knob is the same between 3 and 9 o'clock), never tried one in person.

It's here!

And it came with quite a nifty care package...

That's the pedal, gig bag, their Beta 58 clone, their SM57 clone, two XLR cables, mic clip, 3 t-shirts, and a really nice Coffee Mug that Mrs. OGG stole the second I pulled it out of the bag.

Dammit.
d8ab6a315f89c74fc5645158cbc4f719.jpg
a0e41c9adba0695b206204b7021c4910.jpg
f7974d0bf2248adef376f67778617932.jpg
fa9a2f077acbc2958fb954b317c76366.jpg

BTW, Serial # 005

You know Vai himself likely has a couple out of the first 4.

At some point today I'll get those 12AX7s lit up and see if I can make it sound half as good as the demo videos.

BTW, Serial # 005

At some point today I'll get those 12AX7s lit up and see if I can make it sound half as good as the demo videos.

I fully expect an OGG rendition of the Attitude Song :grin:

BTW, Serial # 005

Let us know what you think. It's got a pair of 12AX7's in it I see. That would explain the 12V, 1A power supply. :eek:

vld1-1_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: OGG
11 knobs and if you get them all set just right you get a tone reminiscent of Steve Vai? That's some elite masochism in that box, for sure.

HNPD!

I got a chance to play with it for a little bit. My left hand is just toast though, and even after the Steroid injection last week, it just ain't happy. Not sure how much more playing time I will get in before the surgery. If I can, I'll post some clips.

It's definitely got some serious juice! The Lead channel with the gain at the halfway point is ludicrous. Beyond that, I can't imagine having a use for. It does sound quite good though.

It can ape the shit out of a Marshall JCM to the point of being scary. It might get Slash's tone better than Slash can...

I ran it alone, no other effects at all (very non-OGG) and didn't completely sound like a hack, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Next time I fire it up, it will go in the chain with the other goodies. I'm guessing with a compressor in front of it, some modulation and delay behind it... it should really sound good.

Back