NPD - The Maxon D&S/OD-801 RI

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
hgmcbz0ork3qknfxlszo.jpg

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/maxon/808/od801#pictures

I've been looking for a Big Muff. I tried the Green Russian and hated it. In reading about Muffs, I thought about what I wanted. Gobs of distortion, obviously. But I wanted it to play well with my Fender based Allen Encore too. My next choices were either the EHX Op-Amp RI, or a Ram's Head clone.

Deep in the bowels of @Kit Rae's site, is some info on the Maxon D&S and Ibanez OD850. You might consider the Maxon (and it's re-branded Ibanez brethren) the first boutique tweak of the Big Muff. Maxon changed the range of the tone control, focusing it in the middle range of what you would find on a stock Big Muff. And then of course they put it into a much smaller box.

Now I'm not sure about lower noise transistors and all that. What I can tell you is the 10" speakers in my amp don't sound like they're going to jump out of the cabinet due to the massive bass (like with the Green Russian). It has gobs of distortion, as you would expect. It's close enough for my bad Gilmourish wanking. And it plays well with humbuckers. Seems like it's the one for me.

In comparing the Maxon to my MXR Bass Distortion (Fuzzrocious RAT), there's a notable difference in gain on chords. However, saturated leads sound much more similar than not. I expect I'll turn the gain back down on the MXR and go back to using it in Turbo mode.

Time to put the big board back together...

Nice. If you ever get the itch for a Rams Head, the Chicago Stomp Works one is fantastic. I may have to get one again :grin:

This thing doesn't seem to have a lot of volume on tap, at least with humbuckers. That said, it certainly gets over unity gain, so anything else I can get from a boost after it. FWIW, I'm using my GE-7 which was just modded by @RyanNo3 with some low noise parts. It didn't completely eliminate the noise, but the drop is significant. A nice bump in the upper mids and treble does it.

So it appears my volume issue is due to a wonky relay switch. Sent to @RyanNo3 for true bypass replacement. Got a partial refund from the seller to cover the cost. :thu:

Back