NPD - BOSS Bass Limiter

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
I'm not good with compressors. I think this is my 4th. Last month I ordered and returned a Keeley Bassist comp because it amplified noise within my signal.

Last night, among the madness that is the terrible 2s, I got to plug in for 5 minutes. This one doesn't sound as good as the Keeley, but it also doesn't amplify noise in the signal. So I'll take my wins where I can get them. Especially since I paid $30 shipped for it. The deal with the BOSS is that you don't want to use the Enhance control. All it does is add noise. So keep that off set your other controls where you want them, and go.

tumblr_om56orBUeR1r1df3ao1_500.jpg

I think you may be confusing the 2...

A compressor works by narrowing the overall level, raising the lower strength signals and lowering the higher, resulting in a narrow spectrum of overall volume variations...that's why it amplifies the noise...

A limiter only limits the upper range of signal strengths without affecting anything below the set threshold...so it doesn't raise the level of noise...

In your case the limiter makes more sense, and is the better choice...

I think you may be confusing the 2...

A compressor works by narrowing the overall level, raising the lower strength signals and lowering the higher, resulting in a narrow spectrum of overall volume variations...that's why it amplifies the noise...

A limiter only limits the upper range of signal strengths without affecting anything below the set threshold...so it doesn't raise the level of noise...

In your case the limiter makes more sense, and is the better choice...

All limiters are compressors. However, not all compressors are limiters.

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/limiter.shtml

"For example the Boss LMB-3 is marketed as a limiter, but it has a wide range of control over the threshold and ratio, so it can be used for any sort of compression."

HNPD :thu:

I find it interesting that more bassist are using bass OD's/Distortion

Like with the guitar market, there are more and better options out there now. The compressor is what it is, whether or not it says "bass" on it is irrelevant. The MXR is a RAT with a clean blend. It allowed me to significantly reduce the size of the board from a normal sized clipboard to a notepad clipboard. :grin:

Back