NOW I have a GOOD practice amp!

olds_cool63

Over The Top
Well, some of you already know I was looking for a little practice amp. I bought a Behringer GM108 which lasted 2-3 weeks. Sent it back to Amazon for another one and it was a dud, too! So, that got shipped back today.

Yesterday, I ordered the Behringer GTX30 and it came today. Gotta say, it's not bad. Not the best amp in the world, but it serves my purpose.

Tone is very good, clean is CLEAN. It emulates a tube amp by pressing a button. Sounds OK, but not quite the real thing. It's a 30 watt-er and it's loud enough. I'm not too crazy about the overdrive or the cheapo knobs. The OD could be a lot better, but that's not why I got it.

The effects (reverb, flanger, chorus & delay) are not bad at all. Still not why I got it. Though it does work well with my Digitech RP-55 mulit-effects pedal. My RP-55 has the exact same effects and many more and it does a better job. Haven't tried it with my DOD pedals, yet (since I got the RP-55, I don't use them much). Oh, yeah, sounds good with my Behringer HellBabe wah-wah pedal, too.

So, why did I get this amp? Well, like many amps out there it has 2 features I REALLY need: headphones and line-in. Sure, I could've gone Fender or Marshall, but I just wanted to try something else. I've been dialing it in for the last couple of hours and it really does sound good.

Oh, and when I put on the headphones, NO thud or static. When I take them off and play hard, NO thud or static. That was the problem I had with the GM108.

So, am I happy? Yeah, I am! :thu:

I still have some MAJOR testing out to do with it over the weekend. But, for now, the amp stays here and is not being shipped back to Amazon.

So far, I'd recommend it anyone.

Just a little update on the amp.

I'm really very happy with it. I have to say, I really think I made a good choice. There is ONE thing I noticed (which isn't much of a big deal) that I find strange. The gain knob goes from 0 to 10 in half step increments. At 1/2, the gain is really nice and warm. Sounds pretty good. But starting at 1, it's way too much for my rhythm taste, but not bad for a screaming lead. The strange thing is, from 1-10, I hear absolutely no difference at all!

Good thing I didn't get it for the gain, huh?

I still need to test it out with my DOD pedals (circa mid-to-late 80's) for that classic 80's sound, tho.

Anyway, I've been having a BLAST with it!

Thats cool! As long as you like the clean sound you should be able to pedal in something you like for the crunch...

Just a little update on the amp.

I'm really very happy with it. I have to say, I really think I made a good choice. There is ONE thing I noticed (which isn't much of a big deal) that I find strange. The gain knob goes from 0 to 10 in half step increments. At 1/2, the gain is really nice and warm. Sounds pretty good. But starting at 1, it's way too much for my rhythm taste, but not bad for a screaming lead. The strange thing is, from 1-10, I hear absolutely no difference at all!

Good thing I didn't get it for the gain, huh?

I still need to test it out with my DOD pedals (circa mid-to-late 80's) for that classic 80's sound, tho.

Anyway, I've been having a BLAST with it!

Where do you have the volume set when playing with the Gain?. Most amps don't react much on lower volume, so you may have to crank the volume a bit and then fiddle with the gain to hear the differences.

Modeling amp I presume? Behringer makes some good stuff these days. My ex-bandmate had the Behringer Bass head and it was fabulous.

I recently picked up the Peavey Vypyr 15 watt little practice amp. Ridiculously good for the price point and for what it is. They model the Diezel VH4 and do an ok job with it. Great even for small jams. Very small jams (LOL). Although, it's pretty loud. Editable effects, which is unheard of in this price range. Great delay, another surprise. Even though it's just a toy, it's a really fun toy.

I have a Fender Mustang 1. Its amazing for $99. Loud as hell for an 8" speaker too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I tried the Mustang. The amp models were pretty convincing, and the construction was certainly better, but I didn't like the whole layout of things. It seemed too complicated to me. I need things simpler in a practice amp. Too impatient.

I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 up in the attic. The Mustang 1 sounds so much better to me, and is far simpler to use and adjust.
However, the new Super Champ X2 puts the Mustangs to shame. Very simple tube circuited, and sounds like a slice of heaven.

I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 up in the attic. The Mustang 1 sounds so much better to me, and is far simpler to use and adjust.
However, the new Super Champ X2 puts the Mustangs to shame. Very simple tube circuited, and sounds like a slice of heaven.

I saw those and am really curious. I heard the last version, and they were awesome.

Back