Now for a doubling bass board!

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Since my guitar board was a success I want to build a small bass board for doubling upright and BG.

My upright has 2 pickups, a mag at the end of the fingerboard and a piezo at the bridge. I'd like to be able to mix the two, have a Baggs PADI inline with the piezo, and an AB switch for upright to BG. I could also send a balanced piezo signal to the house from the PADI or a balanced blended signal from the amp. The BG would go straight from the AB box to the amp, avoiding the mixer.

I have 3 alternatives for a mixer to blend the upright pickups.
1. A small battery powered Nady, 4 mono channels into 1 mono out.
2. An even smaller passive Rolls, but it's stereo 4 TRS ins one TRS out.
3. A quite large old Radio Shack with AC power and cool looking VU meters, but it has the little home stereo plugs for ins and outs L & R with pans on the channels.

I'd like to use the Rolls because it's passive and the smallest footprint, but will my 1/4" mono plugs work in the TRS receptacles?

If not, will the battery powered preamp in the Nady color my upright's mag pickup and screw up the impedance? Also I'd prob need to buy an AC adapter for it. If neither of those will work I could use the RS but I'd need a bunch of adapters and I'd still have the uprights mag pickup going thru the mixers preamp.

Hoping to avoid the expense of purchasing a Bass Bone or blender box specifically for upright.

I also have a nice little 4 ch Peavey PV series mixer but I'd like to keep it for PA applications.

Yea I know, plug em up and see. But just wanna see what you guys think might be best.

Heres a pic of the stuff
image.jpg1_zpslmlnyvgg.jpg

Heres the little passive Rolls
image.jpg2_zpsxzurmo9t.jpg

Last edited:
Don't go just by me but, yes I think you can use the Rolls. I plug a TS into a powered speaker, with a TRS imput all the time.

After playing with it more, not happy with the vol mix. Could not get the mag pickups (upright and on the elec bass) hot enough to match the piezo/PADI channel. So I tried the Nady, running both instr thru it. Worked like a charm, very transparent and low noise suprisingly. I lost my instrument switching buttons on the AB, but I have my gains balanced and everything sounding good into my amps active input.
I just have to turn down the uprights mixer channels when I set it aside to avoid potential feedback.
d4f32d59-8191-405c-bcee-1575ce34e244_zpsshpifzlr.jpg

Back