November original song thread

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
OK - so in keeping with a song a month - this is the thread to get into the show for November.

It is easy - just write and record an original song this month. The due date will be November 30th with the reveal within a couple days after.

Anyone can participate and the recording can be a full blown production or a one take one mic recording. After doing last month's song I realized I need to address a lot of recording issues in my new place - like a place to record without all the slapback of the room.

So if you are in - just put a post here. And ALWAYS feel free to ask for help, feedback, suggestions here. I really want this to be a songwriting community thing. Some here are brilliant writers, and some (like me) are pretty rough and trying to improve. The main thing is to dig out the music in our soul and get it into the ears of others.

I may end up posting something in the main forum since I'm not sure how much attention threads get in this forum.

Okay, this is not a swap, just write and record an original song this month? I just started writing a new one and could conceivably record it in time.

I just started writing my contribution; it's called "Baltimore Neptune, LLC"

Pack up the fam and move to Oxnard
To the commune owned by Gary Blanchard
He's a peaceful man and noble scholar
And he'all save your soul for 50 dollars
If you're a tightwad--stingy with the bread
It's death by water and the Grateful Dead
So pass the hat and empty purses
Or the Blanchard man be fillin' hearses

Hey ho, fly away
It's a lovely day to die today
Hey ho, tipperee
He'll throw your bones into the sea

I think I'm in. I just finished drums and bass (and a scratch guitar track) for a new song. Still needs lyrics, but I have a theme and a chorus idea. Should be able to get it done.

I have my lyric about 3/4 written and the music almost totally written in my head. The problem will be getting it recorded anything remotely like it is in my head. I need to figure out how to program a decent drum loop or two and how to change the drums in the middle. I need to borrow a bass. And I have to figure out a way to deaden the back bedroom I am using for recording.

Everyone is eating bees
And drinking pumpkin pie
It's lysergic Saturday
That's the reason why
So dial up the country radio
And eat a bowl of air
It's career day at your high school
So do drugs and grow your hair

Almost written. A couple of rough spots to smooth out but basically works with piano and voice. Now I have to decide how much time/effort I want to put into the production.

I've already sent Dave my song; now I have another new one but haven't had the chance to record it. Maybe I can do that the day after Thanksgiving, since I won't be working or shopping.

I have to work on the drum loop.

Translation..... I need to learn how to write and record a drum loop with EX Drummer. This song will suck without drums.

Otherwise the lyrics are pretty much done. I'll revise them a bit but that is finished at least.

Last edited:
Not sure if we want to run the workshop in the call for submissions thread, but....

I think I'm done. Hosting my Mom for Thanksgiving, so probably won't have any more time this month anyway.

Last edited:
I just started writing my contribution; it's called "Baltimore Neptune, LLC"

Pack up the fam and move to Oxnard
To the commune owned by Gary Blanchard
He's a peaceful man and noble scholar
And he'all save your soul for 50 dollars
If you're a tightwad--stingy with the bread
It's death by water and the Grateful Dead
So pass the hat and empty purses
Or the Blanchard man be fillin' hearses

Hey ho, fly away
It's a lovely day to die today
Hey ho, tipperee
He'll throw your bones into the sea
How did I miss this? lmbo

Progress made!

I figured out how to use the loops in EZ Drummer in Cubase and then edit them. I'm not the best drummer on earth but I have the drums for the entire song finished.

And I figured out why I was having so many latency issues and sound issues on the lyric exchange song.

Apparently when I 'upgraded' from windows 8 to Windows 10 it hosed my ASIO settings. I did not have the right driver and since I only recorded via a live mic I did not notice that my laptop mic was on and recording along with my actual mic and everything was recording via both mics at the same time and totally hosing the quality. I downloaded the correct ASIO driver and installed it and it hosed everything. Nothing worked. 45 minutes later I finally figured out the problem - made the corrections and all the problems appear to be solved. At freaking last. I have the drums and bass recorded and hope to get most of the guitars tomorrow. My acoustic is still at the shop getting the pickup installed so that part will have to wait.

@Denverdave I just shot a one take of my song idea I have been working on, adding a bridge that I just made up tonight. It is very rough, and was shot only in Photo Booth as my regular recording stuff was not working. But, since we are leaving for Thanksgiving the day after tomorrow, I figured if I did not get down what I have so far I might not get it done. So, will PM you a link and you can decide if it is ready to share or not.

Progress made!

I figured out how to use the loops in EZ Drummer in Cubase and then edit them. I'm not the best drummer on earth but I have the drums for the entire song finished.
Aah! Another Cubase user....damn how I sometimes struggle with getting it to do what I want!!! Lol

Back