Not enjoying electric these days!!!

I'm not sure what's going on, but for the past month or so, I've had little inclination to play my electrics, and when I do, I find I'm not inspired. Pretty much all of my playing has been on one of my acoustics, and the majority on my little Emerald travel guitar. What's wrong with me?!?!?

That's no biggie. I also get that way on occasion - where I'm more inclined to play my acoustic, than my electric, due to getting bored with electric guitar, and wanting a change of pace, by playing acoustic music. Good acoustic guitar music is always a joy to play, and to hear, IMO.

Totally agree. I have managed to try work in hand positioning as well on the electrics. The nuances are small but can add to the over bright or the warmer regions of the instrument as well. I have also fond of lower output pickups on electrics as well. This helps a lot with with dynamics you can create on you attack on the strings along with a less compressed sound guitar.

Very true...even just lowering the pups so the magnetic pull isn't dragging as much...especially with single coils. I know Richard Thompson used to have a crazy way of setting his Strat pups to increase their dynamic response. He's one of those hellacious monsters on acoustic and electric guitars. There is actually a decent pool of such types...I've always wanted to be one. :cry:

That's no biggie. I also get that way on occasion - where I'm more inclined to play my acoustic, than my electric, due to getting bored with electric guitar, and wanting a change of pace, by playing acoustic music. Good acoustic guitar music is always a joy to play, and to hear, IMO.

For me it's not about the music, but the instrument. I'll jam along with anything on my acoustic and rarely plug in an electric at all let alone to match the music that I might be working on.

I agree with this, but would add the caveat that electrics are not as dynamic without manipulating the controls of the guitar or amp.

I don't play acoustic at all, but you can really change the sound of an electric by how and where you pick. I never touch the tone control, I change the tone by how and where I pick. The difference is pretty huge.

I don't play acoustic at all, but you can really change the sound of an electric by how and where you pick. I never touch the tone control, I change the tone by how and where I pick. The difference is pretty huge.

Undoubtedly, but it's exponentially more dramatic on an acoustic, at least based on my experience. I can't help but fiddle with my vol, tone, and selector switches when I play electric, even if it's just to find the sweet spot I might be looking for...then I'm always tweaking on the fly with everything, including picking position, whether I use a pick, hybrid, muting, etc. With an acoustic I really don't touch the electronics, if it's equipped, even when it's plugged in.

Keith Richards says that he can get pretty much all electrics to sound the same, but it involves different pup and control settings on the guitars and tweaking amp settings. With a decent acoustic you can cover most needs just by changing how you play it, e.g.: lighten up your technique on a dread and you can totally cop and 000-sound, strum it in the right spot and you can get the sound of jumbo...it gets harder trying to get a OOO to project like a jumbo though. :thu: Without some sort of electronic manipulation, however, you're not going to get a Tele to sound like a Les Paul or a Strat to sound like a 335. So with electrics, we manipulate instrument and amp controls, use effects, and change technique to achieve these goals. Not that that's a bad thing, and really only other musicians notice the minutia...and not even all of them. On an acoustic you just manipulate technique. Ideally you master that and only manipulate music...ideally.

Back