Not enjoying electric these days!!!

bsman

b00b
I'm not sure what's going on, but for the past month or so, I've had little inclination to play my electrics, and when I do, I find I'm not inspired. Pretty much all of my playing has been on one of my acoustics, and the majority on my little Emerald travel guitar. What's wrong with me?!?!?

Honestly I've been the same way. I've been listening to a lot of bluegrass and acoustic stuff lately and I have had very little desire to pick up an electric.

I've gone the other way. I'm playing my Tweedy pretty much every day since I got it set-up well.

Honestly I've been the same way. I've been listening to a lot of bluegrass and acoustic stuff lately and I have had very little desire to pick up an electric.

This happened to me about 20 yrs ago. As a result, when I plug in, it's a different world. Messing with setting in the Mustang I and using the Ditto pedal. That said, I've used the Ditto pedal with the acoustic as well...as all of mine have electronics, although the aforementioned Mustang is not the optimum acoustic amplification.

Oddly, I don't know that I play any differently on either version as I used to incorporate techniques featured in Guitar Player and the like that were acoustic based on my electric if I thought they were cool.

I've gone the other way. I'm playing my Tweedy pretty much every day since I got it set-up well.

The SG? I'm asking because I remember you posting a Tweedy Martin, but I can't remember if it was yours.

Oh wait, in context of this thread, it must be the SG.

The SG? I'm asking because I remember you posting a Tweedy Martin, but I can't remember if it was yours.

Oh wait, in context of this thread, it must be the SG.

I'd still really like a Tweedy Martin, but I don't need it. I'd rather have a Tweedy Breedlove, but those are hard to find and WAY too much $$$.

As an acoustic player I have two electrics that I plug in now and again, but I realize I will never really be an electric guitarist. That acoustic sound and feel is just too much a part of my DNA.

As an acoustic player I have two electrics that I plug in now and again, but I realize I will never really be an electric guitarist. That acoustic sound and feel is just too much a part of my DNA.

Hell despite a good start in the first 10 years, the last 20 have shown that I will never really be a guitarist at all. I;m just a massive music junky that dabbles in fretted stringed instruments.:thu:

I started to migrate towards playing my acoustics more as it helped me with techniques I couldn't do on an electric. Today I play both but I feel my acoustic strumming technique really sucks. I have had to experiment with different picks and playing more Mandolin now has added into the mix of confusion and fun at the same time. I have found that I can alot more things on my acoustic that I could never do on the electric due to the sounds created. With that, it is a pleasure playing both.

Some Days I hate all guitars. It does not matter if they are acoustic or electric. I hate them.

Somehow though maybe the next day they say that they are sorry and I love them again.

Then the amps piss me off.

This wraps it up for me!

I started to migrate towards playing my acoustics more as it helped me with techniques I couldn't do on an electric. Today I play both but I feel my acoustic strumming technique really sucks. I have had to experiment with different picks and playing more Mandolin now has added into the mix of confusion and fun at the same time. I have found that I can alot more things on my acoustic that I could never do on the electric due to the sounds created. With that, it is a pleasure playing both.

I agree with this, but would add the caveat that electrics are not as dynamic without manipulating the controls of the guitar or amp. On an acoustic, even with electronics, you can change so much without touching the preamp or amp at all. The nuances, great and small, that you can get from changing picking hand position is unparalleled by electrics (but I think there are a few guitars out there with dynamic response, but it's far from a standard).

That said, it's not a big deal as most of us have figured out how to manipulate our electrics' and amps controls. It's just with the acoustics it's more about the fingers and strings...most of the other stuff is superfluous.

I agree with this, but would add the caveat that electrics are not as dynamic without manipulating the controls of the guitar or amp. On an acoustic, even with electronics, you can change so much without touching the preamp or amp at all. The nuances, great and small, that you can get from changing picking hand position is unparalleled by electrics (but I think there are a few guitars out there with dynamic response, but it's far from a standard).

That said, it's not a big deal as most of us have figured out how to manipulate our electrics' and amps controls. It's just with the acoustics it's more about the fingers and strings...most of the other stuff is superfluous.

Totally agree. I have managed to try work in hand positioning as well on the electrics. The nuances are small but can add to the over bright or the warmer regions of the instrument as well. I have also fond of lower output pickups on electrics as well. This helps a lot with with dynamics you can create on you attack on the strings along with a less compressed sound guitar.

Back