Norman "Dusty" Kleiss, hero of the battle of Midway, dies at 100

So he has belly dancers at his 100th birthday party? :cool: :grin:

What an incredible life you must have had, Dusty.

I asked Kleiss whether he felt that he was a hero.
Kleiss laughed. "I'm anything but a hero. I don't hate the Japanese at all. I was only doing what at the time was the proper thing to do."

A nice article, and his humility is inspiring.

I was talking to a medic one evening while waiting for my son-in-law to arrive at the base following his first deployment. He told me a story about how he and five others were pinned down by withering fire, and how he knew they would all be killed that day. Into the situation, my son-in-law drove his Humvee, to get all six men out. The medic called my son-in-law a hero. My son-in-law never saw it that way. He said he was just doing his job.

A nice article, and his humility is inspiring.

I was talking to a medic one evening while waiting for my son-in-law to arrive at the base following his first deployment. He told me a story about how he and five others were pinned down by withering fire, and how he knew they would all be killed that day. Into the situation, my son-in-law drove his Humvee, to get all six men out. The medic called my son-in-law a hero. My son-in-law never saw it that way. He said he was just doing his job.
Respect and gratitude for your son-in-law's service and bravery.

Back