Non-scientific review of Ernie Ball Cobalt strings versus M-Steel

aliensporebomb

Fretted instrument fan

My findings:
If you have a guitar that's a little anemic in terms of output or sounds a little thin, this will fatten it up quite a bit. It would be a good choice for guys with a vintage guitar where swapping the original pickups out would devalue it as a vintage instrument - these strings seem to speak louder.

The Cobalts are pretty clear already, but this seems to add a noticeable bottom end component with more output (and indeed at the same input volume levels was overdriving my camera preamp a little bit).

If you have a purpose that requires the highest possible consistent output from your pickups (using octave dividers, harmonizers, guitar-to-midi converters) this would help those high-tech purposes along.

Another thought, they seem to sustain a lot longer. Yes, they're expensive (about $12 per pack).

Now to see just how long they do last. I'm going to do another video with strat into mesa no effects, no reverb and do some whammy abuse for fun later today I think.

Reactions: Tig
I love my Cobalt's for about a year, but they may not be for everyone. I use mostly medium output single coils and they are perfect for my needs.
I haven't tried the M-steels yet.

Back