Noise issue

Johnny N.

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I have a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 amp. It is a tube amp mixed with modelling technology. It looks goofy with all of the flashing lights but it really does sound good.

Anyway, in the last few days I've been getting a noise and it's not a good one. It seems to really just be on anything overdriven. Let's say I play a note and let it ring out. It's normal for a couple seconds but then it starts degrading into a nasty static and then fizz sound. It's not the feedback we all love. It is more of a digital sounding thing.

Also, it has the ability to store 3 banks of 4 user presets. I save 4 on the first bank. In the last week I have had it happen twice where I push the 2 button but that patch is gone and it is the same tone I have set on number 3. I thought I must have done something wrong the first time but it happened again. This is leading me to believe that maybe the noise issue isn't a tube thing but maybe something with the digital side of things.

If it were just tubes I'd change them out but not sure I'm willing to put it in the shop. I was going to get rid of it but something like that might cost more than I could sell it for. So I'd sell it cheap or keep in over in the corner and use that one thick clean sound I love on it. Just wondering if you guys can think of things I could check.

I don't know anything about that specific amp, but with the preset problems you mentioned, I would think there is a problem with the amp. Is it new? Can you return/exchange it?

Tube change would be my first plan.

I had a Zinky Blue Velvet that made a rattle sound every time I hit a F up to G note.
I called Bruce Zinky ( great guy )
He had a few suggestions, but tube swap was #1. v1 swap fixed it.

The noise thing could be just a tube. The preset thing is out of my league.

First the obvious questions, did you change out the cord and try a different guitar?

The noise thing could be just a tube. The preset thing is out of my league.

First the obvious questions, did you change out the cord and try a different guitar?

Maybe I'll start with cleaning all the contacts and see what that does. I only have one electric so can't change guitars but it was fine until a few days ago. I can also switch cables and see if maybe that is going bad.

Maybe I'll start with cleaning all the contacts and see what that does. I only have one electric so can't change guitars but it was fine until a few days ago. I can also switch cables and see if maybe that is going bad.

From how you describe it, I doubt it is either the cable or the guitar, but there have been few times I have gone down a hole trying to fix something only to find it was the cable, so I always start there. Wouldn't want you swapping tubes, taking it to a tech to find out you have a bad cable or your output jack connection was going bad. :grin:

From how you describe it, I doubt it is either the cable or the guitar, but there have been few times I have gone down a hole trying to fix something only to find it was the cable, so I always start there. Wouldn't want you swapping tubes, taking it to a tech to find out you have a bad cable or your output jack connection was going bad. :grin:

I know it's not the guitar. :tongue:

It's funny, when I first got this amp he also gave me this ratty looking cable. I had a nice looking Fender cable so I used it instead. The amp was horrible. It was full of static, cut in and out, all kinds of stuff. I just figured he gave me a broken amp. I put his crappy cable on and it worked great. Really weird because the Fender cable was fine through other amps. So yeah, it can be the simplest of things. Unfortunately I have had a couple of really long days and haven't been home enough to work on it. Maybe this evening or sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was going to say a smartassed comment, did you try unplugging it? Turns out, you can do a reset on them. Hook up to your computer for firmware too.

I've tried pretty much everything with no success. It's above my head so it needs to go in the shop if I want it fixed. I did find a couple of settings to get the sounds I want without the hideous noise so I'll just go with it for now. I really don't want to sink money into this amp. Then again it does sound really good so maybe at some point I will.

It still sounds good clean. When you say any kind of gain is bad, is that gain from the modeling inside the amp? What I'm wondering is, do you get the same problem with a dirt pedal between your guitar and amp?

Other thought, can you hook it up to another speaker?

It still sounds good clean. When you say any kind of gain is bad, is that gain from the modeling inside the amp? What I'm wondering is, do you get the same problem with a dirt pedal between your guitar and amp?

Other thought, can you hook it up to another speaker?

I don't have any other speakers or pedals ( I know, nerd) so I don't have those options.

I think any of the noise is coming from the modelling piece. If I choose the "twin" setting for example and just crank up the gain to get a little overdriven sound it's not a problem. If I add the internal tube screamer, for example, I get that weird tail off noise. Each amp also has a green and red setting. In other words on that Twin setting in normal green mode with gain up it's fine. If I push it to the red version I get the noise. So it has to be from the digital side of things.

I just need to decide if I'm willing to spend money to fix it or just wait and buy what I want later. I'm on the fence because even though it is an odd amp with flashing lights and doesn't register on the cool meter, it sound pretty good. As long as the repair wasn't too terribly expensive I'd still have a very good sounding amp. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind owning a cool amp at some point, assuming I feel I've improved enough to deserve it.

I don't have any other speakers or pedals ( I know, nerd) so I don't have those options.

I think any of the noise is coming from the modelling piece. If I choose the "twin" setting for example and just crank up the gain to get a little overdriven sound it's not a problem. If I add the internal tube screamer, for example, I get that weird tail off noise. Each amp also has a green and red setting. In other words on that Twin setting in normal green mode with gain up it's fine. If I push it to the red version I get the noise. So it has to be from the digital side of things.

I just need to decide if I'm willing to spend money to fix it or just wait and buy what I want later. I'm on the fence because even though it is an odd amp with flashing lights and doesn't register on the cool meter, it sound pretty good. As long as the repair wasn't too terribly expensive I'd still have a very good sounding amp. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind owning a cool amp at some point, assuming I feel I've improved enough to deserve it.

If you like the Twin setting in the green mode, buy one of the DOD Gunslingers for $30 they are blowing out and throw that in front of the amp for dirt until you are ready to buy something. If it is something with the modleing side dirt, throwing a pedal in front should work. $30 should be way cheaper than any repair and when you are ready to buy a new amp, you'll probably be able to dump the pedal and make a few bucks.

If you like the Twin setting in the green mode, buy one of the DOD Gunslingers for $30 they are blowing out and throw that in front of the amp for dirt until you are ready to buy something. If it is something with the modleing side dirt, throwing a pedal in front should work. $30 should be way cheaper than any repair and when you are ready to buy a new amp, you'll probably be able to dump the pedal and make a few bucks.

That's actually what I was considering. And if that works out I could be fine.

Well, that was easy. Went home at lunch and played a little and verified that I really like the clean/clean with some gain on that amp. I actually like it a lot. It even has a nice tremolo, delay and reverb if I feel the need.

So I watched a couple of reviews of the Gunslinger and it seems really cool. I was able to find one for $29 and only $4 to ship so I ordered it. If it sounds good with this amp I could be perfectly happy and quit worrying about my next amp. Unless of course this one takes a dump eventually but then I'd only need to find an amp with a good clean. I fear the pedal rabbit hole but I'm pretty cheap so I doubt I'll go too far.

Question though as I wait for it to come. I have a DigiTech Trio+ so would the pedal go before it or after it? I don't have an effects loop so it goes in the front and then out to desktop monitors for the drums and bass sound. Guitar sounds all go through the amp. So I'm guessing after???

Yeah, I would think after. Unless you are doing a loop of some rhythm playing to solo over and you want the rhythm dirty.

Yeah, I would think after. Unless you are doing a loop of some rhythm playing to solo over and you want the rhythm dirty.

I think I'll end up putting it first but might try it both ways just to see if there is a difference in how the pedal itself works. But yeah, putting it before gives the option of looping crunchy or clean.

Back