Noise-free Tele Pickups

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
Buddy of mine likes "nice things" but really doesn't know gear. He bought some pine body Fender Custom Shop Tele and hates the electronics...mostly because the pickups are singles and have 60 cycle him.

Talking with him last night he said he was considering routing it out for "mini hums or P90s." I then had to explain to him how much p90s hum.

Anyway, he asked me to recommend some noiseless Tele pickups after I mentioned that such a thing exists. I'm not really a noiseless player because I tend to like vintage spec/classic tones and am not a hum obsessive. So if you all have experience/recommendations, that be great. Otherwise I'll just tell him to buy some Dimarzios or something.

I have the Kinman strat pickups in two of my guitars and thy are great. I was considering a set of them for my tele (pine bodied CV model) but really liked the sound of the TV Jones pickups in the other thread. Noise is a giant issue around here though.

And t be perfectly honest I hate almost all noiseless pickups. The Kinman strat pickups aren't the most perfect TGP-approved vintage sounding strat pickup but they DO sound good and get the job done very well on stage (which is the most important aspect of them to me).

Good to know. My buddy isn't a tone hound (obviously) and just wants something functional that won't give him some niggling little thing to fuss over.

Good to know. My buddy isn't a tone hound (obviously) and just wants something functional that won't give him some niggling little thing to fuss over.

I'm sure he'll find something else once he gets new noise-free pups.:thu: Unless he's one of those reasonable people I've never met that can actually be satisfied.

I'm sure he'll find something else once he gets new noise-free pups.:thu: Unless he's one of those reasonable people I've never met that can actually be satisfied.

Indeed. I'm just trying to prevent him from doing something dumb like trashing the resale value of his silly custom shop Tele that he loves because of the resonance of the wood. Which of course wouldn't be marred at all by routing it out for firebird type mini buckets and going with some alternate bridge scheme.

He's one of those totally obsessive fuss budgets. I'm sure he'll just move on to finding a perfect strap that doesn't give off microfrequency harmonic confabulents or something

Back